Fermentation Not Very Active

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack_0106

Reaction score
Howdy,

I started a traditional mead about 4 days ago. Starting gravity was 1.102. Normally, like with my black berry mead, after the 2nd, 3rd or 4th day, the airlock is bubbling quite a bit and there is an audible fizz going on. However, with this one, I got maybe 2 hours or so of solid fermentation on day 2 and then it went kaput. Bubbling every 2 minutes or so with no visible bubbles fizzing up the side of the fermenter.

I know bubbles and airlock activity are not a good reference point for fermentation but its very different to what I've had brewing before. I've yet to take a gravity reading but will do so in the next couple of days.

I know there is probably a plethora of reasons but any ideas why this mead is not as active?

Recipe:
  • 1400g/3LB of honey (granted it was standard store bought stuff 😬)
  • 4 slices of orange peel with pith removed
  • Half Teaspoon of tannins
  • Teaspoon of yeast nutrient (On day 3)
  • Half Pack of Gervin GV3 Champagne yeast (Pack was previously opened but sealed with tape and refrigerated for the week)
  • Water to fill to the gallon mark (or thereabouts)

Howdy,

I started a traditional mead about 4 days ago. Starting gravity was 1.102. Normally, like with my black berry mead, after the 2nd, 3rd or 4th day, the airlock is bubbling quite a bit and there is an audible fizz going on. However, with this one, I got maybe 2 hours or so of solid fermentation on day 2 and then it went kaput. Bubbling every 2 minutes or so with no visible bubbles fizzing up the side of the fermenter.

I know bubbles and airlock activity are not a good reference point for fermentation but its very different to what I've had brewing before. I've yet to take a gravity reading but will do so in the next couple of days.

I know there is probably a plethora of reasons but any ideas why this mead is not as active?

Recipe:
  • 1400g/3LB of honey (granted it was standard store bought stuff 😬)
  • 4 slices of orange peel with pith removed
  • Half Teaspoon of tannins
  • Teaspoon of yeast nutrient (On day 3)
  • Half Pack of Gervin GV3 Champagne yeast (Pack was previously opened but sealed with tape and refrigerated for the week)
  • Water to fill to the gallon mark (or thereabouts)
A couple of questions....
Did you rehydrate the yeast with GoFerm? Or just dump it in dry?
GoFerm will significantly improve the chances of a successful ferment, as it contains the nutrients necessary for proper rehydration of yeast
Are you using or planning to use any nutrients & a feeding schedule?
Fermaid O & TOSNA 3.0 will keep the yeast happy for a cleaner, healthier, & often time faster ferment.

First thing I would suggest would be to check your seals to make sure they're tight.
Second, I would take a reading. See how far that yeast has taken you.
If it hasn't gone as far as you think it should be by now, give it a good swirl to get things moving again. If there's any lees on the bottom, get that back into suspension.
If your seals are tight & that yeast hasn't done much, then you may try rehydrating some fresh yeast, (could be the same yeast or a stronger strain) with GoFerm then pitch that.

I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

Last edited:
A couple of questions....
Did you rehydrate the yeast with GoFerm? Or just dump it in dry?
GoFerm will significantly improve the chances of a successful ferment, as it contains the nutrients necessary for proper rehydration of yeast
Are you using or planning to use any nutrients & a feeding schedule?
Fermaid O & TOSNA 3.0 will keep the yeast happy for a cleaner, healthier, & often time faster ferment.

First thing I would suggest would be to check your seals to make sure they're tight.
Second, I would take a reading. See how far that yeast has taken you.
If it hasn't gone as far as you think it should be by now, give it a good swirl to get things moving again. If there's any lees on the bottom, get that back into suspension.
If your seals are tight & that yeast hasn't done much, then you may try rehydrating some fresh yeast, (could be the same yeast or a stronger strain) with GoFerm then pitch that.

I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

Thanks for your response. But no, I didnt rehydrate yeast. 1 because we don't have go ferm in Ireland and 2, I never have and my brews have turned out pretty active right off the bat.

Yes, doing a staggered nutrient feed on day 3 and day 5 and possibly around day 7.

I took a reading on day 3 out of curiosity and it was on 1.5%. I'll take another one on day 10 and see where I'm at.

I did dose nutrient on day 4 and it seems to have livened things up a bit for sure so it might just be a slow burner. I reckon the honey I used may have been a bit too...filtered. Wasn't the raw natural stuff I normally use.

I'll keep you posted

Latest posts

Back