Yeast before water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
When topping off my brew today I put the yeast in first before I topped off the fermenter to 5 gallons. By doing this did I really mess up my brew? Or did I just make it so the fermentation will take longer to start? I just wasn't thinking straight and I put the yeast in first and then topped off:mad: Anyways, thanks in advance.

Relax, dont worry and have a homebrew. It's going to be fine. Other then contamination it is pretty hard to screw up beer.

GT

Had you cooled the wort before you added the yeast? If it was still very hot (more than 100F) you may be in some trouble but if not you're fine, don't worry.

Had you cooled the wort before you added the yeast? If it was still very hot (more than 100F) you may be in some trouble but if not you're fine, don't worry.

My thoughts exactly. If you didn't cool the wort prior to adding the yeast then you would be well advised to pitch another pack of dry yeast when your wort cools below 70F. You can pick up a yeast packet for less than $2.00 at your LHBS. It's a good idea to have few packets on hand anyway.

Just wait a few days, if you see bubbling, then you should be okay. But if you worry, then just pitch one more pack of yeast.

Latest posts

Back