Yeast Amounts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dRaPP

Reaction score
What is the rule of thumb on how much yeast to use? Is it just one starter tube or one packet of dry yeast per 5 gallons or something?

I brew using extract and have only bought either kits or recipes that the homebrew store owner assembles for me. I wouldn't know what to do if I ever decided to create my own recipe.

It all depends on the gravity of the beer, the freshness of the yeast, the type of beer you're making... Typically one vial isn't enough. One packet of dry yeast can be enough for a lot of beers, but it is limiting. Most people recommend making a starter with liquid yeast. Search around on here to see what you think.

Best resource for you http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Dry yeast comes in more than one size so watch for that. Pitching is dependent on gravity of wort among other factors. Tube of liquid yeast is usually best made into a starter, see above link for how much.

Latest posts

Back