Yeast all over inside of carboy. is this normal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzanneb

Reaction score
Made a batch of ed wort's applewein 2 weeks ago. checked on it today for the first time and there is what looks like lots of yeast stuck to the inside walls of the carboy all over.
i moved it a little and it looked like it started falling off.

is this normal i have never seen anything like this or any sorta buildup along the walls of the carboy.

oh and i didnt use montrachet i used cider yeast in case that makes a difference.

For me a thick residue on the walls of the carboy is the norm after the krausen falls. With beer it can look nasty. Been a long time since I made an apple wine, but I think there was a krausen residue on the sides of the carboy; guess it'd have only been yeast/foam residue without the hops to make it look so nasty though.

but it is not on the walls at the top where there is no cider it is on the walls almost all the way down to the bottom.
still normal???

I'd say normal. Usually happens to me from swirling the yeast in the carboy after pitching. Maybe the extra ~2lbs of sugar I add makes it stickier for yeast to cling *shrug*.
Science.

ok cool.
i just took a hydrometer reading and it was 1.000
i am guessing it needs to go lower than that but how low will it go???
the recipe says 4 weeks in primary is that normal??
j

Wait until you can take 3 consistent hydrometer readings over 3 days. It should be between 0.998-1.00 (depending if there is slight carbonation).

It's normal, I've had it happen. I just very gently swirl the jug and the sediment settles to the bottom with the rest.

Back