Yeast Abuse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsheck

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone bought dry yeast, then (due to a long drive home) forgot to take it out of the car, where it sat undiscovered for a week, and had it survive~?

I did this very thing, but I don't know if I should attempt to use it or not. I guess I could start a starter with it to see if it is still viable, but I thought I might ask this august body of experience.

Dry yeast is incredible hardy. It is probably fine. If in doubt, get another pack as a back up. In fact, you should always have a pack as aback up. The stuff is cheap.

Dry yeast? Yeah, dry yeast should be fine. I've left liquid yeast in my car and it was fine (not for a week though). Yeast is pretty resilient. You have the right idea though, just try and make a starter if you're concerned.

+1 to a back up. I have a package of Safeale-05 in my garage fridge at all times for "emergencies" (read - dad drops by the house and says, "Let's make some beer").

+1 to making a starter or proofing the yeast. I'd suggest purchasing your back up, then re-hydrating and proofing your original. If it doesn't show any signs of life, well ... that's why you call your backup a backup. And if your primary yeast is dead, you can always pitch it as nutrient for your backup.

Back