X's and O's whats what , your thoughts.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davis119

Reaction score
as g@y as this sounds dont flame........:cross:

so the wife and i have this argument alot

what is what with x's and o's ? (hugs and kisses)

she claims x's are kisses and o's are hugs

i thing shes wrong .. my theory...

A. hugs come first in the "saying"
B. hugs arms make an X
C. kisses make more of an Oish shape

5 seconds with google would have netted you the truth...

Hugs and kisses or xoxo is a term used for expressing affection or good friendship at the end of a written letter, email or SMS text message. The common custom of placing X's on envelopes, notes and at the bottom of letters to mean kisses dates back to the Middle Ages, when a Christian cross was drawn on documents or letters to mean sincerity, faith, and honesty.[1] A kiss was then placed upon the cross, by the signer as a display of their sworn oath. It was also used in early Christian history as much of a display of the same. Since most of the common people were unable to read or write, the 'X' was placed on documents, and a kiss placed upon it as a show of their sincerity.[2] The Chi Rho, often represented with the letter 'X', was also used as a holy symbol throughout Christian history as it represented the Greek word for Christ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ; this gave rise to the practice of using the letter 'X' for the tradition of displaying a sacred oath.[1][3]

The 'O' is of North American descent; no one really seems to know how it was started. It has been said that when arriving to the US, Jewish immigrants would use an 'O' on documents, not using the sign of the cross, and shop keepers would often use an 'O' when signing documents, in place of an 'X'.[4] Perhaps now it is used as the 'O' being rounded represents arms encircling another, as in an embrace.'X' is used to signify a kiss and 'O' is used to signify a hug.[5][1] The use of 'X' to signify a kiss dates back to as early as 1765.[5][6]
Example from history

One unambiguous example where x is used to represent "kiss" comes from a tragic event in 1905. A seaman aboard the doomed SS Kaliyuga managed to write this final message, where one x is used for each of the family members mentioned:

"Dear Father: Good-bye. I have a bank book in the Cleveland Society of Savings. Good-bye mother, dear sister and brother. xxxx A kiss for all."[7]

This note was found on the body of oiler Charles Beaugrand[8]:p.25 which washed ashore several days after his ship sank during a late October storm on Lake Huron.

as g@y as this sounds dont flame........:cross:

so the wife and i have this argument alot

what is what with x's and o's ? (hugs and kisses)

she claims x's are kisses and o's are hugs

i thing shes wrong .. my theory...

A. hugs come first in the "saying"
B. hugs arms make an X
C. kisses make more of an Oish shape

Not that I care at all..... And I have never really thought about it...

I always thought it was like she says.

i know we have googled it but to me it makes no sence.... if it is x=kiss than why not say o's and x's
im just not buying what wikipedia is selling..... ill stick with my theory and push it on to others

ok revvy you can deleted this thread now i dont need her to see more people aggreeing with her

You know it IS possible to be wrong. In fact I'm wrong everyday. I just don't tell everyone about it :mug:

I've always known X's to be kisses and O's to be hugs.

If you look at someone giving a hug, from above, their arms make an 'O'.

And people's lips often make an X shape when they kiss. I see people sometimes kissing straight on, but most of the time their heads are tilted somewhat to accommodate their noses. And of course you can kiss deeper that way as well, since the mouth is curved.

And people's lips often make an X shape when they kiss. I see people sometimes kissing straight on, but most of the time their heads are tilted somewhat to accommodate their noses. And of course you can kiss deeper that way as well, since the mouth is curved.

lol thanks for the detailed description.... im thinking arms croos in the back when hugging unless of course its a larger person.....

But I always kiss like this O

The egg. Dinosaurs were around long before chickens & they laid eggs.
Insects were around long before the dinosaurs & they laid eggs.
Regards, GF. :tank:

I didn't eggs could come, or chickens..or dinosaurs for that matter and just who is doing this research?? :confused:

Oh, I agree with the wife too.

Back