Adventures in new fatherhood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They bring home everything. Just wait until Pinkeye does the rounds of your house.

last time, the 4 year old brought it home, the newborn and my wife contracted it, I was the only one unscathed.

Had to postpone my parents meeting my daughter for the first time for a bit. The day they came back from my sister's out west, there was a note that came home from my niece's daycare saying that Hand Foot and Mouth had been confirmed at the daycare. Did not want to risk a newborn catching that.

Well, here is my 4 day old daughter.... We didn't find out the sex with her or her brother. She has been an absolute delight! First day I got 8 hours of sleep... That was crazy as my boy I think I foot 4 hours in 4 days!
But here is Violet and my son Bjorn the first day she was home.
Its totally cute, he will not stop giving her kisses and hugs and holding her hand during diaper changes, and he is only almost 2. Love this so much...

0726152127.jpg

0725151658a.jpg

Although this picture was taken right after thry first met at the hospital. The expressions of each are priceless...
"What is this? And what is that sound?! It's staying here right?! " - Bjorn
" someone feed me! Why is that young man poking me?! " - Violet

violetbjorn.jpg

Sunday evening just after dark, we (perhaps unwisely since it was after bedtime) took him to the local park to see a movie (the parks commission set up a big screen and played a movie, with free popcorn). We sat with our friends on a blanket, and SG was fidgetty but not too bad. Directly in front of us was an African American couple (this is only important later) and their son, who we came to find out was 2 years old. He saw SG, smiled wide and toddled over with his Spiderman pillow. Looking at Mrs. Goodness he said "do you think he wants to play with Spiderman and me?"

Cutest thing Ive ever seen, easily.

From that point on until the end of the movie the two of them were instant good buddies, and both of them wound up crawling into the opposite mom's lap at some point.

This is what I'm learning about kids, and I'm loving it... at that age its not that they dont notice race (they arent idiots), and they might even bring it up as a matter of curiosity... they just couldnt care less about it.

SG woke up literally 6 times Saturday night. He wound up going back and forth between our bed to get him to go back to sleep to his crib, and since my wife's back is hurting it was on me to bring him. I'm not proud of it, but the last time she shook me awake to bring him back to the crib I snapped at her pretty good. Im really surprised Im not in the doghouse, when she tried to argue I hit her with "just go the hell to sleep".

Had a tasting at my house a few days ago...
we were all sitting around the table and he was snacking and just watching all of us, grabbed him a taster glass and filled it up with water from the rinse area i had setup and he was looking like this after awhile... wonder if he was just looking so pompous because we were all sitting around talking beers. just wanted to fit in i gather! haha, my wife ended up snapping this picture about half way through the night.

IMG_20151004_120543_zpspc3kt5ep.jpg

Second son is now 6 weeks. Just Brewed my first post-birth beer... A Porter. I'm pleasantly surprised, as I thought I may never have time to brew again.

I became a late night brewer until my daughter turned 4. It was easier not having an enthusiastic toddler involved.

I became a late night brewer until my daughter turned 4. It was easier not having an enthusiastic toddler involved.

Amen. God bless my lad for wanting to assist... but 220V/30A and boiling wort just don't mix with kids. I still let him grind grain, but even then he's sticking his hands in the mill.

There's something peaceful about the whole family asleep in bed while I sit it silence in the garage, tending my brewery and sipping drafts.

As of this Saturday, my son is officially walking. Not just 1 step and then moving to the safety of the floor... I mean several steps one after the other.

His style is kind of funny... kind of does a shoulder shimmy with each step that looks like he is choreographing "Thriller" with his tongue out to one side.

I'm in for a world of hurt now.

We've just started rolling.. all over the place. I'm not ready for even that yet.. let alone better forms of movement.

Here's my favorite pic of my little chunk, from his 1 year picture session, shortly after he learned to run. He's never actually walked. He just sprints everywhere. He's four now, his gait has changed, but he still goes everywhere at top speed.

View attachment 314083

my son, too... lordy.
we moved recently into a house that has one dividing wall between the kitchen /living room / dining room /family room, like a big loop

front room - hall way - living room
________ ----- wall -----_________
dining room - kitchen - living room

he just will randomly scream "RUN DADDY RUN MOMMY! OKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!"
and have us all sprint around the rooms in circles for 2-3 minutes.. i'ts hilarious, 'cuz he keeps looking back to make sure we're still "quickly walking" with him, but he doesn't know how to stay straight when he looks back... so he is "pinballing" on the walls, bouncing off of them.
then when he falls, he starts crawling and yells for us to crawl...
it's hilarious... kids are great.

--- my 3 month old just started to get the idea about responding to people too... i love this part of them growing up, you make a noise, they make a noise, going back and forth until it finally looks like you both are yelling at each other.

---- onto more kid stuff
took my son to the train museum that opened up here recently. It's a free "donations appreciated" place... think it was more or less they had this big building to restore trains and opened it up to the public in a nice building.
some of the old steam trains are rediculously huge...never even thought about that before, some were close to 20 feet tall.
anyways. my son loved it all, then took him on a trip on the light rail, as it was right next door and he could ride on a "train" afterwards.

22466258718_1f0795c881_c.jpg

and moments like this is why i love being a dad. ended last night with some lady and the tramp

22701203120_4611dee30e_c.jpg

my son, too... lordy.

we moved recently into a house that has one dividing wall between the kitchen /living room / dining room /family room, like a big loop

and have us all sprint around the rooms in circles for 2-3 minutes.. i'ts hilarious, 'cuz he keeps looking back to make sure we're still "quickly walking" with him, but he doesn't know how to stay straight when he looks back... so he is "pinballing" on the walls, bouncing off of them.

--- my 3 month old just started to get the idea about responding to people too... i love this part of them growing up, you make a noise, they make a noise, going back and forth until it finally looks like you both are yelling at each other.

---- onto more kid stuff

took my son to the train museum that opened up here recently. It's a free "donations appreciated" place... think it was more or less they had this big building to restore trains and opened it up to the public in a nice building.

some of the old steam trains are rediculously huge...never even thought about that before, some were close to 20 feet tall.

anyways. my son loved it all, then took him on a trip on the light rail, as it was right next door and he could ride on a "train" afterwards.

and moments like this is why i love being a dad. ended last night with some lady and the tramp

Love it. We play "I Spy" everywhere we go now. Such a riot. My boy is color blind, I'm convinced. Still hella fun. He loves to taunt us with "You can't catch me!". Typical response is "You're right!".

my son, too... lordy.

---- onto more kid stuff

Love it. We play "I Spy" everywhere we go now. Such a riot. My boy is color blind, I'm convinced. Still hella fun. He loves to taunt us with "You can't catch me!". Typical response is "You're right!".

And something fun... and i totally forgot about this.

Whenever i run out and do errands, 95% of the time i take my son (even to beer releases to buy bottles at 10a... no drinking with him when i need to drive, just bottle buys).
ended up doing some grocery shopping a few days ago and heading to the brew store to get ingredients... he helped me get some grains together and i went back to get hops and yeast, there was a play area for the kids that come in. So he played over there for easily 20 minutes while i was browsing around and checking out the hops and such... great shop IMO...
Doing my homebrew shopping was always a little difficult now with kids... but i know where i'm going next time! :)

1114151211 by Noah Scott, on Flickr

SG has just started to make pretend. He's feeding the people he likes fake food, which is rather endearing.

He also learned to feed the inlaw's spaniel real food, which has him far more endeared to her than previously. She's starting to think the clunky, shouty human might not be so bad after all.

Back