xpanding a single tap tower to a double tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
found a sweet craigslist deal

pre made kegerator for $100.

can fit 2 corny kegs but has a 1 tap tower. can I retro fit the tower to 2 taps?

any help doing this?

sweet deal with 1 tap can i make it better w/ 2 taps!!!!

HATE bottling! help me!

You sure can.

I have a pre-made Haier keggerator unit that will fit 3 cornies. The tower that came with it is 2.5 inches as opposed to the aftermarket 3 or 4 inch towers available. I was going to invest in a 3-tap 3 inch tower, but I did not want to part with that much money for one, so I decided to try and modify mine first.

It was a challenge to squeeze 3 taps and lines into a 2.5 inch tower, but I got it done just fine. It works great and saved me some money.

The standard tower material is very thin, so when you drill it, be very careful you dont crush the tube, or crack it if its made of plastic. I wedged a piece of wood in it to support it during drilling.

Here is a picture of it with the first pour after I modified it. Sorry, I dont have any in process pictures.

IMGP5245.jpg

Dang Scarface, looks like there's about to be a party!!!

That looks great. Is the center tap the original?

I also had a 2.5 inch tower that I drilled a second hole in and added a shank to get two taps. It can be done.

Dang Scarface, looks like there's about to be a party!!!

That looks great. Is the center tap the original?

Yes, the center is the original tap location. I just swapped out the original faucet with the purty Perlick one you see there. I used the original shank though. When AHS first got those Perlicks in, they had an awesome introductoy price of $24 a piece, so I jumped all over that and got 3 of them. I think they are $30 each now, but if your patient, I'm sure he'll throw them on sale again.

You will need to get a 90 degree shank for your other one(s) I got mine HERE

If your unit only holds 2 cornies, you would need to adjust and modify your tower accordingly.

Oh, and BTW.......corn sugar!

similar question...

I have a kegerator with a 2.5 inch tower. I want to add a second tap. I am considering drilling a second hole as mentioned above, but I also came across double faucet shanks:
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/faucets/shanks/BE-DF2-3.shtml

this would let me use one hole in the tower, but also have two faucet hookups. My question is, do y'all think this would this fit in my tower? the tubes aren't elbows, so they stick straight out the back of the shank, which makes me think it might not fit. Is it possible to bend them a bit? Or else, does anyone know where I can find a double faucet shank with ELBOW tubes?

As far as the shank itself, it's probably longer than necessary for a tower setup, but I could always just buy a second hex nut for the outside and just have some of the threaded shank sticking out the tower hole maybe?

love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
Chris

keep this post going. please! my $100 kegerator was a craigslist scam... still looking for the same set up and will still need to expand tap by 1 or 2. (even if it fits 3 will only go to 2 taps and use 3rd for lagering or cold crashing ales).

great info guys thanks for info!

still looking for perfect kegerator or small fridge....

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but airmek do you have any top down pictures of your tower with the top cap off to show how you fit it all in there?

You sure can.

I have a pre-made Haier keggerator unit that will fit 3 cornies. The tower that came with it is 2.5 inches as opposed to the aftermarket 3 or 4 inch towers available. I was going to invest in a 3-tap 3 inch tower, but I did not want to part with that much money for one, so I decided to try and modify mine first.

It was a challenge to squeeze 3 taps and lines into a 2.5 inch tower, but I got it done just fine. It works great and saved me some money.

The standard tower material is very thin, so when you drill it, be very careful you dont crush the tube, or crack it if its made of plastic. I wedged a piece of wood in it to support it during drilling.

Here is a picture of it with the first pour after I modified it. Sorry, I dont have any in process pictures.

IMGP5245.jpg

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but airmek do you have any top down pictures of your tower with the top cap off to show how you fit it all in there?

The original shank as installed from Haier was moved to the right position (yellow spacer). It is not a 90 elbow but rather a straight stub. The other 2 are 90 elbows.

IMG_20160214_241530996.jpg

Back