Wyeast "internal nutrient packet"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceyaquarius

Reaction score
Ok, so it's been 2 years since I used Wyeast and I didn't know they had an "internal nutrient packet" in their liquid yeast. I brewed a batch, pitched the Wyeast liquid yeast, fermented, secondary fermented and bottled already, it's now in the second week of bottle conditioning.

Does this mean that since the "internal nutrient packet" was never opened and added to the yeast, that alcohol wasn't created from the yeast eating the sugar and converting it into alcohol? Do I have flavored and carbonated water at this point? I will find out in about a week or two I suppose...

https://imgur.com/a/pDtM9

Attached Files:

The packet is to kickstart the yeast with a bit of food and to show that they're viable via the pack swelling. Smacking or not won't have any impact on your beer over using it.

The "smack" part of the "smack pack" is breaking open that nutrient pack. While there's no manual to read, that point is highlighted in the instructions on the side of the Wyeast package...

Does this mean that since the "internal nutrient packet" was never opened and added to the yeast, that alcohol wasn't created from the yeast eating the sugar and converting it into alcohol? Do I have flavored and carbonated water at this point?

No other yeast making company is having "a nutrient pack" and their yeast makes excellent beer. It's just a gimmick IMO, with or without it the yeast will ferment your wort and produce alcohol.

So, don't worry, alcohol WAS created and you'll end up with some great beer. You'll get your buzz.

Back