Wyeast Farmhouse Ale Fermentation period?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashuganabrew

Brewing... could anything be better?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm using the Wyeast Farmhouse Ale for a Belgian Rye... My question is, how long can I expect this to ferment? I have it in a room that's at a constant 90-92 Degs and it's still going pretty strong after 8 days. "pretty strong" meaning there's a constant stream of small gases breaking at the top and the airlock is popping every 20 mins or so.

Take a gravity reading.

8 days at 90F I'd figure it was done after 5 days or less though.

I assume that you are talking about 3726 and not 3724 which is the Belgian Saison. If it is 3726, then that is way too hot for that yeast. Wyeast recommends no higher than 84'.

Yes, it's 3726. The website says as follows:

Wyeast 3726 PC

Farmhouse Ale
This strain produces complex esters balanced with earthy/spicy notes. Slightly tart and dry with a peppery finish. A perfect strain for farmhouse ales and saisons.

Attenuation 74-79%

Alc. Tolerance 12%

Flocculation variable

Temperature Range 70-95°F (21-35°C)

Reading is 1.009, so it has to be done. I'm farely new and I've never used this strain before. Why would it keep bubbling away? OH and temps are closer to 88 after looking at the thermostat.

Bubbling doesn't necessarily mean it's fermenting. CO2 doesn't like to stay in solution at that high of a temp. I haven't used 3726, but I know 3711 and 3725 will finish 1.000-1.002. If it holds steady at 1.009 for 3-4 days then I'd say it's done.

Yes, it's 3726. The website says as follows:

Wyeast 3726 PC

Farmhouse Ale
This strain produces complex esters balanced with earthy/spicy notes. Slightly tart and dry with a peppery finish. A perfect strain for farmhouse ales and saisons.

Attenuation 74-79%

Alc. Tolerance 12%

Flocculation variable

Temperature Range 70-95°F (21-35°C)

Curiously, the listing for 3726 on the PC Oct-Dec 2011 PC Archives is missing/non existent. I do know that the upper temp was listed as 84' when it was posted. I see that the 2008 PC for 3726 does list the high end as 94'. I will say that we have used 3711 quite a bit and fermenting 3726 in the low to mid-80's as is the limit for 3711 has produced great results. Very few yeasts can tolerate temps into the 90's, 3724 being one of them. Report back on your FG and how the beer tastes. I am interested to see if 3726 can indeed work in the 90's.

Actually 3711 tops out at 77' and not the 80's according to Wyeast but we have had success in the low 80's.

Curiously, the listing for 3726 on the PC Oct-Dec 2011 PC Archives is missing/non existent. I do know that the upper temp was listed as 84' when it was posted. I see that the 2008 PC for 3726 does list the high end as 94'. I will say that we have used 3711 quite a bit and fermenting 3726 in the low to mid-80's as is the limit for 3711 has produced great results. Very few yeasts can tolerate temps into the 90's, 3724 being one of them. Report back on your FG and how the beer tastes. I am interested to see if 3726 can indeed work in the 90's.

I'll definitely keep you posted. I tried what I used to take the reading with tonight and it was excellent, no off flavors or odors. I read quite a few postings on other sites that said to start off with the 3726 at 90 and let go for a week or more, I just thought it would stop by now. I agree with your assessment of the CO2 in solution, that's gotta be it. I'm going to let it stay for two more days and then drop the temp to 70 for a couple weeks. What do you normally do with the 3711 after fermentation? In other words at what temp do you condition?

I keep 3711 locked in around 77-80 or the high end for the duration as I do with all of other Saison yeasts (3724 @ 90 & 3726 83' so I would certainly lower the temp to the low 80's.

I am glad that you have tasted a sample and you thought it was good because frankly, to get to terminal gravity with a Saison yeast that ferments out at as high of a temp as you had it at and as quickly as it did is a bit unusual in my experience. Normally Saison yeast that is geared to ferment in the 90's will get stuck around 1.030 and creep slowly to terminal gravity over the next 4-8 weeks.

8 days at 90F? It's done, but take a gravity reading and taste the sample to be safe.

8 days at 90F? It's done, but take a gravity reading and taste the sample to be safe.

Yep, I read several posts on here and other sites that said to go at 90 and stay hot. I'm relatively new at this so I just went for it since the Wyeast website said 80-95 deg F. Luckily It tastes REALLY nice. OG was 1.056 and it's down to 1.009. I've lowered the temp and it's holding steady at 82F now. I'll keep here for another 2 weeks I guess. (electric bill is going to be off the charts) I'm just wondering if I should move to secondary with these high temps, I've read the chains on here about forgoing the secondary, but at these temps? I'm not sure.

I usually leave 3711 and 3724 for a month primary, conditioning at ~70ish room temp (I don't keep it warm, or cool it, just take it off control after the majority of fermentation is over).

I usually leave 3711 and 3724 for a month primary, conditioning at ~70ish room temp (I don't keep it warm, or cool it, just take it off control after the majority of fermentation is over).

Thanks, I'll take another reading tomorrow and if it holds, I'll drop the temp to 70. My wife will be happy to get her bathroom back anyway.

Holding at 1.009 and still tastes great. Those Lil 3726 buggers are tough! I dropped it to 70 and will condition for 14 days or so before bottling. Thanks for the help!

Actually 3711 tops out at 77' and not the 80's according to Wyeast but we have had success in the low 80's.

From my experience, going 80F on 3711, 3724, 3726 (3725 - made a Bier de Garde at 70F then lagered) will give you an excellent balance of fruity saison esters and dry peppery phenolics - a little of both makes it really nice. I just have the brew belt on and it does wonders for my saisons.

I was a little weary experimenting over room temp on 3711 because I thought it might get too peppery - but I actually did 80F with 3711 on a Grisette (table Saison) that had a 60% Belg Pils, 15%Unmalted, 15%White Wheat (Grisette supposed to have a hybrid wheat bill - also try witbier strains for Grisette) 5% oats and 5% Rye along with citrus centric Citra and Wakatu hops and it gave me an extremely dry, peppery, citrusy beer with a nice wheat bite - EXTREMELY refreshing if you go for a dry 3711 table saison

Anyways, my balanced saison schedule usually looks like
1st 24 hours at room temp (70F)
1 to 2 weeks with brew belt at 80F (depending on complexity of grain bill - simpler, lower abv = less time)
Another couple weeks back at 70F once ferm is over - let's everything settle out and clear up before bottle priming

Back