Wyeast 3724 (Belgium Saisan) in a WitBier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MirImage

Reaction score
Yesterday I bought a WitBier PM kit from the LHBS and they were out of the yeast they normally use for the WitBeir. One of the employees suggested using Wyeast 3724 (Belgium Saisan). I was just curious as to how much different this maybe to a Witbier. I have only had one Saisan before and they was a while ago (From New Glarus, really liked it). I also understand that is yeast ferments a little high ~80 degrees.

ingredients if you need them:
6 lbs. wheat malt extract
1 lb. unmalted wheat grain
1/4 lb. acidulated malt
1 oz. Saaz hops (bittering)
3/4 oz. each coriander seeds & dried bitter orange peel (crush & add during last 5 min.)
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)

3724 can be a pain in the rear to ferment out completely...I've had it go 2.5 months before with me cranking the heat up to the 90's on it. I think it'll also ferment out too dry for a wit. I like 3944 in my wits.

3724 can be a pain in the rear to ferment out completely...I've had it go 2.5 months before with me cranking the heat up to the 90's on it. I think it'll also ferment out too dry for a wit. I like 3944 in my wits.

Hmm maybe I will save this yeast for an intended Saisan. I won't be brewing until Tuesday or Wednesday so I have some time to plan. Right now I will have a Safale 04 yeast cake I could use or I can try the LHBS again and see what they have.

**Reading more into it I think SafAle-04 may be a bad option**

I've used 3522 Belgian Ardennes in a Wit with good results. I love 3724 but have had wonderbread's experience with it taking an eon or so to finish fermenting. Good luck.

That saisOn yeast is super attenuative. Plus the flavor profiles are much different from the witbier. Also that S04 won't do you much good either.

You could try the Wyeast Belgian Ardennes 3522. I actually brewed a wit with it not too long ago so that I could use the cake as a starter for a Golden Strong.

It turned out pretty darn good.

If I cannot make it to the LHBS before Tuesday I will probably just use this yeast and see what happens. I am sure it will be drinkable a learning experience at the least. I will post what happens. Thanks for your help!

I went to the LHBS and bought WL Hefe yeast. So its going to be a Hefeweizen now. Thanks for all your help. Will brew a saisan when its warmer out.

i have used 1214 - Belgian Abbey and 1388 - Belgian Strong Ale when they are out. I could not tell much of a difference. But I did not have a side by side comparison to see what the difference was.

I've used 3522 Belgian Ardennes in a Wit with good results. I love 3724 but have had wonderbread's experience with it taking an eon or so to finish fermenting. Good luck.

3522 is a great yeast, I'm actually keeping track of the attenuation stats I'm getting here.

Back