Wyeast 3724 and medicinal taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief462

Reaction score
Using wyeast 3724 to brew a Dupont style saison as this was the recommended yeast. It has all the problem characteristics. Made 2liter starter that i had on stir plate for 36 hours. Pitched at 68' and slow brought up to 95 as directed by posts here and at wyeast. Full blow off at 8 hours and head dropped by 36. It has been going steadily in air lock for past two weeks. At end of week one it had SG of 1.033 and the sample had a extreme medicinal smell. End of week two and SG at 1.027 and the smell is peppery with medicinal undertones but tastes like listerine or cepacol mouthwash. Is this fusel alcohol from the high brew temp and will it disepate over time. I have heard anything from 3-six week fermentation but Duponts takes no more than a week. I have also talk to some brewers who say to finish of with 3711 or nottingham dry yeast to reach its final gravity. Question is how long to Ileave at elevated brew temp and risk the fusel alcohol taste that might not go away. Do I finish off with a packet of notty I usually use for bottlong and when. Has anyone had the medicinal scent and taste early on only to go away.

Flavors in intermediate fermentation really won't correlate to the final product. No need to worry yet man.

If you can keep temps elevated it'll finish out. I've heard this strain taking up to two months to finish completely.

I've used 3724 a lot, and have never gotten noticeable fusels, even when fermenting at 90 degrees.

As a general rule, it's best to wait until the ferment is complete and the beer conditioned before worrying about off-flavors.

Back