Wyeast 3522 vs 1388?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckybeagle

Making sales and brewing ales.
Reaction score
I've brewed 5 or 6 batches using 3522 and have always been very happy with the results, especially my Tripel and Dubbel following these recipes:

https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-belgian-tripel/
https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-belgian-dubbel/

Now, I'm itching to brew another Tripel and a Dubbel, but I only have 1388 on hand (a quart or so of slurry harvested from an Affligem Belgian Blonde clone).

I'm curious if anyone has brewed with BOTH of these yeasts and has a preference or some feedback on the different flavor profiles. I can't find anything online that really helps me make a decision one way or another.

I loved the pear and apricot flavor contributions of the 3522 previously.
I can't really judge the 1388 well since the styrian goldings I used at flameout probably overpowered the subtle yeast characteristics.

Any thoughts or considerations?

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 9.21.35 AM.png

Well, for one thing, you have given yourself the opportunity to create just such a posting!

So many experiments on the wishlist, so little time :p So few bottles, and so little space in the fermentation chamber, LOL.

On one hand, I know 3522 makes awesome beer following those recipes. On the other hand, 1388 isn't as crazy on the esters as 1214, and might contribute a little more interest to the flavor profile than the clean and fairly neutral Ardennes. Maybe I'll brew a 10 gallon batch of the tripel and ferment each one with a different yeast? That might be fun!?

I'll have to consult BLAM to find out proper ferm temps/schedules if the only thing I'm adjusting for is yeast characteristics.. Hmm....... I need a bigger mash tun to sparge this amount of grist... or triple batch sparge like last time. Or make the jump to fly sparging finally.

My only data point is a golden strong ale I brewed with a friend. I always use 1388 which is supposed to be the Duvel strain for this recipe. He decided to use 3522 for his half of the batch. We both preferred the 1388 version. It had more complex esters and a nice slightly tart finish.

Back