Wyeast 3068, banana and clove, etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misplaced_Canuck

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
I've been brewing for a while, and I've always enjoyed the characteristics of Wyeast 3068.

Recently I've run into a problem that the banana + clove flavors are disappearing wayyyyy quickly, we're talking 2 weeks in the keg and the banana + clove are completely gone.

Point in case: I brewed a Dampfbier (german steam beer using hefe yeast, W3068 in my case). I intentionally underpitched and fermented at 72F to increase the banana + clover, and it worked quite well. At racking time (to secondary), the banana and clover were plenty there. At kegging time, same deal, plenty of banana + clover. 10 days later, after force carbonating (but not rolling around), I bring it to one of our brew club members to truck it to the big Charlotte Oktoberfest. That same night, we give it a taste (he'd never had a dampfbier) and still lots of banana + clover.

48 hours, after it's been trucked from Columbia SC to Charlotte NC (about 100 miles), we tap it, and the banana + clover are about 95% gone. WTF? Where did it go?

I had a second keg of that same dampfbier, and after 2-3 weeks in the kegarator, all the banana + clover are also gone. What gives?

I'm at a loss as how/where the flavors are going.

I will say that the dampbifer, after being in the kegarator for about 4-5 weeks, has clarified to crystal clear.

Thoughts?

M_C

You sure it's not a serving temp issue? I used WLP351 bavarian in my last Hefe and if the bottles are too cold, it tastes tart with practically no spice or banana. I let them warm up a bit and they get way better.

I've noticed the same thing on store-bought hefes. They're better once they've warmed up a bit. If that's not it then I don't know what to tell you. I'm trying 3333 German Wheat in a Dunkle right now.

The banana / clover flavors are related to the esters in the beer created by fermentation. These flavors can be very subdued if a beer is served very cold. This is why clean lagers which also have some of the same esters but they are unwanted are served cold to mitigate there presence.

In short let the beer warm up and see if there is anyone noticeable difference. I'd say shoot for a temperature that might mimic the cellaring temperature of the style 50 - 60 degrees.

The banana / clover flavors are related to the esters in the beer created by fermentation. These flavors can be very subdued if a beer is served very cold. This is why clean lagers which also have some of the same esters but they are unwanted are served cold to mitigate there presence.

In short let the beer warm up and see if there is anyone noticeable difference. I'd say shoot for a temperature that might mimic the cellaring temperature of the style 50 - 60 degrees.

I've tried that. Even at 55-60F, the clover and banana are nowhere to be found. It's been puzzling me a lot, since I love banana+clover in hefe's.

I'm wondering if the push-out of the yeast during the first few pints has something to do with it? Like I said, the dampfbier with 3068 is super clear. No yeast to be found!

M_C

Yeah, shake that keg up a bit if it's been sat and try and get plenty of yeast into it.

At work we open ferment at a fairly high temp and under pitch, comes out really well (using wlp300).

PseudoChef said:
FWIW, Cloves are dried flower buds and one of the phenolic characteristic of a Hefeweizen yeast, Clover is a plant in the pea family.

Lol... I noticed but too lazy to correct.

Clover is also a brand of margarine in England.

Back