Hefeweizen brain fart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saunassa

One Life Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well my first real big screw up. Brewed a Hefeweizen, played with temp and under pitched and got a lot of banana flavor. Decided to bottle vs keg so I could hand it out plus it seems to carb nicer and more flavorful vs keg. 2 weeks have gone by and only little pfft when I popped caps on 2, measured fg and it is about 1.025 while when I sampled before bottling it was around 1.010. head scratch and ah crap moment, used the lactose versus corn sugar. That's what I get for having partial pouches on same shelf. I have re-primed 1 case using domino dot sugar cubes and re-capped. Tempted to dump the 8 flip cap bottles I have into a little keg and force carb vs priming them too.
Will it work or oxidize? Right now sweet like some honey golden ales. Low IBU beer, should I spice it, add hop tea... Ideas on what I can do with it?

Sadly, there's no fermenting the lactose, so your stuck with that sweetness. However, you could try to cut it with some beer from another batch in your bottling bucket or keg to help curb that sweetness.

You can try and make it a sour and find a bacteria that'll eat the lactose, if you want to try and offset the sweet with a touch of sour, but yeah, I'm not a fan of lactobacillus in my beers.

By the way, 15 gravity points increase from 1.010 to 1.025 is a lot. It tells me you added 15 gravity points to the beer in sugars. Lactose contributes 46 points per pound per gallon, so if it's a standard 5 gallon batch, it means you added about ~1.67lbs of lactose to the batch for priming. Even if it wasn't lactose, that's stupendously high, isn't it?

It's around 760grams of sugar per 5 gallon batch, whereas for HIGH carbonation I've always used closer to 180grams for the same volume. Did you measure it correctly?

Yes I used a scale to weigh it out and my notes showed 4.7 ounces. I was pretty upset by this mistake so maybe I did not read the gravity correct. Only one way to find out is to pop one open and check again.

Maybe carefully pour those 8 bottles into a 1 gal keg and add a tart Berry juice, Blackberry or raspberry. Seal it up, store in a cool location and let it work for a month or so.

Well I could not wait any longer to see how adding the domino dots to the bottles and recapping them 8s working out. 1 week, placed one in the fridge for the day and just opened it. Oh yes we have carbonation now. Hefeweizen is not about sharp flavors and this drinks 'soft' and sort of pillowy. Oh and not as dark as in photo

Attachments

• IMG_20220625_185509796.jpg
    IMG_20220625_185509796.jpg
    944.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back