Wyeast 1728 - Stuck Fermentation - HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soxside

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Russian Imperial Stout with an OG of 1.100. When the wort cooled to 70 I pitched one smack pack that was made into a 1ltr starter and pitched a second smackpack by itself.

Fermentation took off in about 18hrs and lasted 4 days at 62F. The yeast started dropping out quick so I took a gravity reading, added yeast nutrient and ramped up the temperature to 68F. Day 5 had no change in gravity, but it's only at 1.050 and should be at a 1.029 for a FG.

Should I wait this out or pitch a starter of a champagne yeast or high gravity yeast to finish it off?? If pitching champagne yeast what's the best way to do so?

For the future you under pitched. A 1L starter is not much. (mrmalty.com)

For the present, I'd brew something low OG and then put the RIS onto the yeast cake from the new beer. It seems like a method that yields the best results when stuck.

What temps did you mash at? You pitched plenty of yeast it looks like but you're on Day 6 now and the gravity is at 1.050 with is roughly 6% at this point which is pretty good for fermentation at this point.

Is there still a krausen? Did you aerate enough?

Back