Wyeast 1056?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benco

Reaction score
This question has probably been asked a lot! My yeast got to hit during shipping and it was totally swollen, is still good? I've had it two days in fridge. I plan on brewing tomorrow or next day and make a starter with it, if not, I have some dry yeast to do the job. Your opinion is appreciated! T

Is the smack packet burst? If not smack and you will be fine. Some Wyeast packs will swell as the age, it doesn't hurt them at all. If it has been smacked then it should be fine if you make a starter. Just means the yeast got a dose of nutrient a touch early. I would make the starter and see how it looks if you get a nice krausen then you are good to go.

1056 is known to swell, you're probably OK, making a starter will help ease your mind though.

I just brewed a cream ale and I freaked out because my 1056 was swelled out. Turned out it was such a vigorous fermentation I needed a blow off tube RDWHAHB.

Back