Wyeast 1.080 gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arog3000

Reaction score
I just made 4 gallons of a beer and it came out at 1.080. I usually make a starter but forgot. Since it is only 4 gallons will one packet of Wyeast get the job done? Thanks!! :tank:

One of the online calculators has a selector for batch size weither mrmalty or yeastcalc. See if its anywhere close to what you need. At that gravity i doubt it will be, But worst case scenario you will get some off flavors or under attenuation.

Based on 2 week old yeast mrmalty suggests 2.6 packs.(more if older). Will it ferment, probably yes. Will it be optimal, no. I would get another pack if possible and pitch it before fermentation peaks. If you can't beat that, just let it ride and hope for the best.

4 gallons of 1.080 is the same as 5 gallons of 1.064 (320 gravity points)-- both need more yeast than one vial or smax pack of liquid yeast.
It will ferment but probably sluggish and underattenuate.

Back