WTK: Cheapest Online Source for Grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
I plan on taking the all grain plunge and would like advice on the least expensive online store for purchasing grains when putting a kit together.

Where do you get your grains?

Also, since I'm trying BIAG, is it posible to request a fine milling vs. 'normal' milling?

Check out the price from your local homebrew store first because shipping can kill the good deal you get from buying online. Unless you plan on doing lots of brewing so you use up the grain fast, getting a large quantity of grain pre-crushed may be a mistake as the grain will oxidize much faster once crushed. I bought a cheap grain mill to grind my own since I can deal with that fine grind with my brew in a bag. Then I shopped the whole grain prices and ordered from the place that was the least expensive with shipping.

I've gotta echo what RM-MN said - check your homebrew shops. Even if you've gotta make a bit of a drive. For me, its worth the hour round trip to hit up one of our local shops, because it means a $30 bag of 2-row. While I'm there I also pick up individual 1lb bags of various other grains; my brother and I have started to stock up so when we feel like brewing, we can - instead of waiting to get out to a shop.

Also, when we were at that shop, they mentioned that we shouldn't try to store already milled grain too long (and they mentioned a week or so might be ok but beyond that it could get iffy). Unmilled is fine, but they said that milled grains can go bad (but didn't elaborate as to what kind of bad). Their warning was enough for me to still buy the bag, but also get a mill for myself so we can mill when we need the grain.

I own a mill and buy from the local shop and/or the local brewery. Both give me very good prices (about .80/lb) on sacks of base grain.

It's hard to beet Morebeer, and it's reasonably close to Vegas. But then their milling is not too great. Brewmasters Warehouse is great and has better milling as I understand (I've had my own mill longer than they have been open)--they might even mill it twice for you.

I order from many places. Morebeer, Rebel Brewer, AHS, Farmhouse (great service and might double mill as well,) And Williams Brewing. Williams is the best choice to get something fast. They ship same day. I get stuff from them in two days. I'm just up I-15 in St. George Utah.

The only HBS in LV is expensive. I will only buy 'must-haves' locally. I've heard good things about Brewmasters Warehouse.

I should have stated that I will not be buying sacks of grains, just enough for the days brew session. For now at least.

Personally, I've found Northern Brewer to have the best base malt prices if you're just lokking for bulk 2-row or 6-row malts. They run about $35-$37 per 50lb sack. But, as some else mentioned, the shipping is what is going to kill you with online sites. It's usually going to cost you $20+ for shipping. Most online sites are either going to sell you cheap grain and charge for shipping, or Charge more for grain to offer you reduced flat rate shipping. Local is definitely the best place to start looking.

And definitely invest in mill and a moisture resistant storage container. These are must haves for bulk grain storage and use over the long term.

The only HBS in LV is expensive. I will only buy 'must-haves' locally. I've heard good things about Brewmasters Warehouse.

I should have stated that I will not be buying sacks of grains, just enough for the days brew session. For now at least.

To get the low price you will need to buy large sacks. If your buying large sacks you will want your own mill. This is the way it goes for most brewers.

I suggest you work with your local shop, club, fellow brewers, etc... to negotiate a group buy and/or bulk rates.

Perhaps there is a small brewery in your town. Make friends with them and they may get you sacks at cost. The local brewery is also a FANTASTIC source for free yeast.

I've always heard that the milling is really good at brewmasterswarehouse. I don't have much personal experience with them though.

I have to put in a vote for AHS. They ship fast and have a great crush. Also, if you can spend over $100 (pretty easy) you get free shipping...

I'm relatively new to this, but MoreBeer seems to me to be about the best if you don't have a home brew brick and mortar nearby. They offer free shipping on orders over $59.00, but certain items, including 50lb. sacks of grain," are exempted from the freebee shipping.

However, their prices for 10lb sacks of 2-row is $11.25 (uncrushed) the last I checked. So, if you wished to order 5 sacks or 50lbs., you could get it delivered free for $56.25. I think it you'd be hard pressed to find a much better deal than that online, and the 10lb. sacks are easier to deal with.

I haven't ordered 5 sacks at a time, but I have ordered 3, and they didn't blink at the free shipping even though the weight did come to almost 40lbs with some other items I ordered.

That's a nice catch there Conroe. Apparently, there's a pricing error there somewhere as the 10# bags of the Pale run about $1.20 lb. I'll put your suggestion on the wish list for the next order and get a few sacks. 5# sacks would be even more convenient to store and use I think. Thank you.

Back