WTF is this for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue-Frog

Reaction score
Does anyone know what this round protrusion is for?
I have one mini regulator that otherwise looks the same but it does not have this, this... whatchamacallit.
I have no idea what it is nor what it does or even it's name.

Do You?

Attachments

• WTF.jpg
    WTF.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
I've no idea. But my fist thought is that it is simply a button to push to purge the line pressure when you adjust the regulator psi down. Another thought might be that it lets you toggle from regulated pressure to tank pressure. However, I'm not certain that would work well and be fool proof enough.

Maybe it does nothing and is just a shiney button they put there just to make you want to buy it!

Does anyone know what this round protrusion is for?
I have one mini regulator that otherwise looks the same but it does not have this, this... whatchamacallit.
I have no idea what it is nor what it does or even it's name.

Do You?
I've no idea. But my fist thought is that it is simply a button to push to purge the line pressure when you adjust the regulator psi down. Another thought might be that it lets you toggle from regulated pressure to tank pressure. However, I'm not certain that would work well and be fool proof enough.

Maybe it does nothing and is just a shiney button they put there just to make you want to buy it!
Humm, I don't think its a button. If noone knows what this thing is I guess I will have to squeeze it and c what happens !

I have one of those regulators. It's not a button and you can't squeeze it. My guess is that it's just a cover for a hole that is used for a PRV on a more expensive version of the regulator.

I have one of those regulators. It's not a button and you can't squeeze it. My guess is that it's just a cover for a hole that is used for a PRV on a more expensive version of the regulator.
Humm... interesting. I too was wondering if it was just a cover for some unused feature and the whole regulator looks like it was designed for some optional symmetry. It seems pretty large for a prv....
Don't you agree?

o
Pulled it from an ebay listing. The seller has 100% positive feedback, but I guess you don't have to believe it if you don't want to.
Naw, Its ok.
But if you look at my photo,
post1, you will clearly see a difference. The regulator itself is different. But perhaps it is a prv port... I don't know. Thanks for the pix.

Last edited:
The only difference I see is the big round thing that looks like a button except that you can't push it.
I could be wrong, but i believe the area around the 'button' is recessed. the ebay model is not. Button regulators... recessed... plain...smooth, flat surface.

Like I said, I have this regulator. So I'm not just going by the photographs. To me it is quite obviously the same basic regulator. A slight difference in machining for a plug vs a PRV doesn't change that.

I'm not really sure where you're going with this. The part you asked about has no functionality. What else do you want to know?

Looks like a pressure relief valve. It should pop out if it ever needs to OR it's just a cover for a PRV attachment that didn't come with your purchase

Last edited:
Doesn't look like any PRV I've ever seen.
From the pic that was posted from Ebay, that 'port' we'll call it, was a PRV. My first thought is this was an updated version of that product with a newer style pressure relief valve but it's probably just a cover for an unused port. Looks like you can buy the PRV that would screw into that port. You can probably grab it with some needle nose pliers and unscrew it.

After a small amount of research, probably can't unscrew or add a PRV to this regulator. You can either buy with the PRV or buy without. Two different products

There are 2 different regulators. 1 has this button, 1 does not. My old broken 1 does not. The one in the mail to me does. I do not know why. I am worried that they may not be interchangeable. I now own 2 of these, btw... and I still do not know what the button is, nor what it is called... I lean towards it being a cover for an unused port, function unknown, but for something larger than a prv.
I'm not really sure where you're going with this. The part you asked about has no functionality. What else do you want to know?

The "button" doesn't do anything, so it has nothing whatsoever to do with whether the regulator in the mail is interchangeable with the regulator you need to replace. If the connectors are the same as the old one it will work the same as the old one.

Life isn't always that simple anymore.
Seller doesn't speak English and likes to say the same useless phrases over.and over. besides, there are more important issue/questions... which BTW you may have answered...to wit, I want to use 74g CO2 bulbs...seller says his only fits 16g bulbs. However I can see the adapter that allows the 3/8 thread of the 16g bulb on his regulator and think i can just replace that one with my 5/8 adapter which is for 74g bulbs. But the seller won't say if his adapter is, in fact, removable.
AD says 、'factory store' so they should know. Anyway it is on its way.

I have found that adapters are not always interchangable on these things. Mine came with a 3/8" to TR21-4 (SodaStream) adapter, but another 3/8" to TR21-4 adapter that I already had won't work with this regulator (just doesn't seal). I'm sure there's a way to make yours work for 74g cylinders, but it might take some trial and error.

BTW, where do you get 74g cartridges? I find them to cost more per gram than the 16s.

They are sold in liquor stores here in Japan but they are out of sight and must be asked for ; they go for about 500 yen w/o tax... & although I have not looked much, the 16g bulbs I have come across recently were all more expensive、as much as 460yen, so a very significant difference! Years ago I could get them for about 1$ each if bought in packs of 10. As an aside, now most of their market seems to be for refilling bicycle tires!

BTW- I fear you may be right about the adapter not fitting and that is the itching point... I have been having trouble finding decent priced 74g threaded regulators; (ikeggers comes to mind but haven't found a comparable price yet.) 16g regulators are easier to find on the internet and at lower cost.

I got a note telling me it can be removed but they don't think I have the tool to remove it!
Gee, how am I to interpret this?

Do they know something I don't?
or do they think I cannot access an ordinary wrench ?

One inter-twining issue is PSI range; I have been led to believe that a 1-30 psi is more accurate (precise?) than the 1-90 psi version. Does this ring true? Should I stress over not finding a 30 psi regulator?

As mentioned above, my old one is unwell and reads a few psi even when there is zero pressure... does it matter that much or can I just keep in mind that reading is a few psi low?

0-30 probably does give somewhat better control than 0-90, but these miniregulators aren't exactly the most precise instruments in any case. I only use mine for dispensing, where being a bit off isn't that big a deal. I guess you could try to replace the gauge on your old one, but that might wind up costing more than a new regulator and might not work.

It does unscrew, rather easily in fact. I heard a slight ‘pop’ when I loosened it, suggesting some pressure was still inside the regulator. I can’t get mine to seal well on the SodaStream bottle, so I’m going to bite the bullet and get a full dual stage regulator. The cap has a central fitting, and theres a spring underneath it. Hopefully the
IMG_4167.jpeg
pix are clear!
IMG_4169.jpeg
IMG_4170.jpeg

Thanks milw.
? that come 2 mind...
1. does it take a prv?
2. Is there another use?
3. Does your regulator still work properly?
4. So, what's that thing on the back?

Again, thanks milw !

IMG_4171.png
I haven’t tried to use it again; I don’t have a proper fitting gasket for the SodaStream connector- one black one it came with is too thick, and the other clear one is too thin. The O rings I have aren’t a good fit either, a moderate leak developed in minutes at my last testing so I really don’t like it.
The fitting on the back is featured on an Amazon image but with no explanation given. It is threaded inside, but that’s about all I can tell. Maybe I should open that one too, for science!

Back