WTF....Infected??? Please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAddikt

Expert Beer Quaffer
Reaction score
Pics are below:

So here's the story. I brewed a batch about two weeks ago that is a lactic acid spiked sour extract recipe that I found in Craft Beer and Brewing magazine. I added the lactic acid pre-boil until the PH was sub 4.0 and proceeded as normal. Pitched US-05 and didn't deviate from my routine at all other than trying to aerate better by shaking the carboy a little more than normal pre-pitching.

After 3 days I came home to a clogged airlock and weird looking krausen bubbling over everywhere. I placed foil over the carboy until the krausen (or whatever it was) dropped enough that I could put stopper and airlock back on. All the foam left so much debris on the inside of my better bottle that I can't see the wort so today I popped open the stopper and my oh my what a surprise. Rather than the krausen dropping it's still about an inch thick and just doesn't look right, although this is the same crap that clogged my airlock 3 days into fermentation and I'm now on day 13.

Is this an infection and if so can an infection cause blow off just 3 days into fermentation? Is this just slimy yeast that hasn't subsided? I have no idea what to do. I'm scared to bottle it because I don't want to infect my bottling equipment. The wort smells a little weird but not overly sour or anything. I usually make malty or hoppy beers and this is neither so I don't have a point of comparison. I'm even scared to take a sample out of fear of infecting my thief and hydrometer. Please help!!

IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_2894.jpg

Yes, you do indeed have a serious Saccharomyces infection. Seriously though, looks normal to me. I've occasionally had 05 leave a stubborn krausen layer that won't drop. Is the beer clear beneath? I'd proceed with your samples as normal and package if stable.

Is the beer clear beneath? I'd proceed with your samples as normal and package if stable.

Yes, the beer beneath looks totally fine. I'll proceed with a gravity check tomorrow and see what's what. Thanks for the feedback.

Looks right to me. Looks like it may have been a little warm and agressive.

I pitched at 62F and fermented at 63F. On day 3 when the krausen caused blow off it was still at 63F. I raised it to 68F on day 8. But it did seem VERY aggressive. This was the best pitching temp I've ever achieved and I did aerate it rather violently. :confused: Thanks for the reassurance. I will provide an update tomorrow after I do a gravity and taste check.

US05 at 63. Last time I did that I got pretty heavy fruity character. It mellowed with bottle aging, and is my ladys favorite brew.

US05 at 63. Last time I did that I got pretty heavy fruity character. It mellowed with bottle aging, and is my ladys favorite brew.

Out of curiosity, what temp do you usually ferment US05 at? Based on the fermentis website the ideal range is 59-71.6, although it will tolerate 53.6-77.

I use a thermowell and pitch and hold 65. When the airlock slows way down I let it come up to 68. When it clears up (as good as US05 can) I check gravity. If I want to ferment with dry yeast colder I use Notty.

Took a sample tonight while I was brewing a Fat Tire clone. Definitely wasn't infected...I feel a bit sheepish. Gravity at 1.009 and taste is spot on. Sub 4 PH and really nice acidity considering it's a spiked sour. Looks promising at this point. Gonna sample again tomorrow and if it's stable I'm bottling.

I agree looks normal, sometimes with some yeasts or types of beer you get that, sometimes not depending on yeast and style.

Back