Wow that is a hot fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruinarion

Reaction score
I made a Raspberry Melomel last week Thursday.

13 lbs Wildflower Honey
6lbs Raspberry Puree
8 cups Orange Juice
2 tsp Black Tea
Enough water to make 4.2 gallons.
2 Packets Lalvin 71B-1122 rehydrated in GoFerm

I split this between a pair of 3 gallon Better Bottles and used a Staggered Nutrient Schedule. The bottles are in a pair of temperature controlled minifridges originally kept between 63f and 66f.

In less than 12 hours the containers were going strong. I added the second dosage of nutrients and shook the bottles enough to mix it in.

I checked on it a few hours later and yikes they are trying to foam out of the bottles. But the thermometer stuck on the bottle was between 68 and 69. So I bumped the temperature range down to 61f to 64f.

I checked a few more times on Friday and kept turning the temperature down. By Saturday I had the temperature running 52f to 55f and the thermometer was still indicating 64f to 66f. It held those temperatures all day Sunday and seems to be holding today.

Has anybody had their mead ferment this hot? All of my other meads were much calmer than this but I did not use fruit.

Back