Would this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torilen

Reaction score
So, the local homebrew store closed, and I don't have easy access to
extract any longer. While I contemplate where to buy extracts online,
I thought I would use some of my leftover grains and actually try an
all grain brew. Not sure if it would work though - again, my first
attempt at it.

Here is what I'm thinking:
0.75gal batch - 1gal boil
10oz rye
7oz dark munich
6.75oz crystal 60
7oz uk chocolate
2oz roasted barley
2oz honey (4T)
4oz sugar (0.5C)

The online calculator is saying I should get around 9ABV or so.

What say all you more educated about such things?

You don't have base grains in there that would contribute enzymes to convert all those specialty grains. IMO, you would end up with a cloying sweet mess.

You don't have base grains in there that would contribute enzymes to convert all those specialty grains. IMO, you would end up with a cloying sweet mess.
If it's not too old, the rye malt would. Depending on its diastatic power (DP) it should be enough to help convert the Dark Munich as well. Mash those 2 malts together, finely milled, at 1.5 qt/lb, lowish mash temps around 148-150F. Add the other finely milled grains after 45-60' in the mash, plus add some extra water to keep around 1.5 qt/lb and mash/steep for another 30'. Mash/steep in a medium size pot (in a prewarmed, turned off oven) and lauter through a strainer or sieve. Sparge 2x.

Looks like a recipe for a small Rye Stout/Porter.

Last edited:
It is malted rye, and it might be a 6 to 8 months old, but it has not been cracked yet.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll give it a try...sounds like it might work. I also
have amylase enzyme I can add to help nudge the conversion along, just in case.

Rye can be a tough kernel to crush as it is small and hard.

Give a good visual inspection to be sure you have an adequate crush.

Nothing more fruitless than mashing whole grains lol.

That.^
You probably need to narrow your mill's gap a bit to crush those (small) rye kernels. Same is true for wheat.

6-8 months old is fine, it should convert A-OK. Remember, just mash it with the Munich first, so your (small) grist mix is rich with enzymes. The other grains just need to be steeped at the end basically.

Since I always use rye as an adjunct along with a base malt I didn't consider that it could act as a base malt. Learned something new!

Since I always use rye as an adjunct along with a base malt I didn't consider that it could act as a base malt. Learned something new!
As @RM-MN said, it depends on what that rye is. If it's malted it can be used as a base malt and convert, it has a very decent DP. If it's unmalted (kernels) or flaked, it obviously won't. Briess now sells rye caramalt around C60, it's delicious! Obviously that has no DP, but it did before kilning... Caramalts (and crystal malts) were actually mashed inside the kernel.

Latest posts

Back