Frankenstout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac_1103

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of brewing several extract batches and I'm going to wind up with a bunch of leftover specialty grains that won't keep forever. Specifically, about 8 oz each of Aromatic, Abbey, Biscuit, Black Patent, Cara Brown, Chocolate Wheat and Munich Dark. Was thinking about heading down to my LHBS and picking up 9 or 10 pounds of Maris Otter and throwing this all in together to try my first BIAB. Brewer's Friend says I should wind up with an OG of around 1.055 assuming 60% ending kettle efficiency and FG of 1.014 with S-04 yeast for an ABV of 5.39%. I'm prepared to dump in some DME if I miss the OG badly, just to make sure I end up with beer.

So my question is basically, will this at least not totally suck? Maybe if I throw in some lactose and coffee beans it'll be sort of a milk stout?

The primary goal here is to work out a BIAB process using equipment I already have. Getting something drinkable would be icing on the cake.

[EDIT: Above assumes 5 gallons into the kettle.]

Do it for science. Skip the lactose and coffee, though, blech.

My basic stout recipe is Maris Otter, a pound of Munich (everything gets better with a pound of Munich), some Victory, something crystal, and something roast. You're pretty much hitting all the bases.

Back