would this make a good fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For just a few dollars more you could get a glass carboy. To answer your question YES you could use that.

The guy said it was hdpe plastic, I just wanted to make sure that it is indeed food grade, I like that no light would get through.

So I work in the Rochester area and I've thought about these many times. They don't have a standard recycling number on them, but they do have a U.N. marking. From what I was able to get out of it (one of their ebay photos showed the full number) the barrels were made in 2005 and are rated for absolutely anything and everything SOLID by the UN standards. What that means for liquid, I have no idea.

I was figuring on getting a couple for grain storage though, as locally he's selling them for $10 apiece on Craigslist.

So I work in the Rochester area and I've thought about these many times. They don't have a standard recycling number on them, but they do have a U.N. marking. From what I was able to get out of it (one of their ebay photos showed the full number) the barrels were made in 2005 and are rated for absolutely anything and everything SOLID by the UN standards. What that means for liquid, I have no idea.

I was figuring on getting a couple for grain storage though, as locally he's selling them for $10 apiece on Craigslist.

It seems like a good deal, I would like to use them as primary for wine and then use glass carboy as secondary. I am always leery of E-Bay.

The UN Marking:
1H2/X48/S
NL/CURTEC/286

1 = Drum
H = Plastic
2 = Closed Head

X = Packaging Groups I, II and III
48 = Weight in Kilograms

S = Tested for Solids

NL = I don't know -- possibly made in Netherlands?
CURTEC = Name of manufacturer
286 = I have no idea

So again, I don't think it's rated for liquids, not sure if it's too porous or what, but I personally nixed the idea of using them for fermenters.

I think I will stay away from as a fermenter. would probably make a good storage drum.thanks for the replies

This is the listing I found on the company's website for the barrel:

Product code 6948
Capacity 39 litres / 10.3 US gallons
Diametre container 338 mm
Diametre opening 295 mm
Total height 505 mm
Material HDPE
Lid color Red
Body color White
UN marking 1H2/X48/S/--/NL/CURTEC 286
Pallet quantity 36
Food grade yes
Tamper evident yes
Handgrips yes
Screw lid yes
Water tight yes

Food grade HDPE, sounds like it would make a perfect fermenter.

S = tested for solids

This refers to a drop test used to gauge the transportability of a full container.

This thing would do just fine as a fermenter. Add some insulation and it would work as a mash tun as well.

For about 20$ shipped would be a good deal.It looks like it would be of better quality than the buckets I have seen.

looks like the same fermenter this guy uses in this video on youtube. Scroll up to 3:03 on the move for a better shot of it...I would go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back