Would it be bad to brew/ferment near sump pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LieutenantDan

Reaction score
I am in the planning stages of what I hope will become a basement brewery, but my ideal location is pretty much right next to my sump pump. It's not like it is pumping sewage or anything like that, but it is a small well of constantly standing water. Could this be a breeding ground for contaminants and other baddies that make this a poor location to set up?

Standing water is usually pretty gross. Once fermentation begins, the positive pressure in the fermentation vessel is going to keep creepy crawlies out of there. I'd say it is probably not an ideal location but probably of much concern either.

My bottling bench is next to the sump pump. The cover is off now since I have the drain hose from my brew sink going into it. Never had a problem except when I was dumping trub into the sump. Gross smelling after a while. Only run rinse water and PBW cleaning solution into it now. (And rinse water from green beans and cucumbers, plus brine solution, to get ready for canning.)

My bottling bench is next to the sump pump. The cover is off now since I have the drain hose from my brew sink going into it. Never had a problem except when I was dumping trub into the sump. Gross smelling after a while. Only run rinse water and PBW cleaning solution into it now. (And rinse water from green beans and cucumbers, plus brine solution, to get ready for canning.)

I was planning on my brew sink draining into the sump at first but quickly realized I can tie in to a nearby drain line.

Latest posts

Back