Would a motor from this craigslist ad be correct for mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tealio

Reaction score
This local craigslist ad I found lists HVAC motors -

I HAVE 25 MOTORS FOR SALE. $20.00 FOR ONE OR MORE OR A DISCOUNT FOR ALL..... MAGNETEK UNIVERSAL.... ELECTRIC MOTORS......STOCK NO. 170......RPM 1625.......VOLTS 208-230........AMPS 1.1......SPEEDS 3...SHAFT 8 1/2 X 1/2 X 8 1/2 DOUBLE SHAFT MOTOR......CAPACITOR 5MFD.......[[[[[CROSS REF GE 3852, GE 3856, EMK 6656, FASCO D775...DATE CODE 26L4]]]]] ******PLEASE EMAIL ME ANYTIME FOR INFORMATION ON HOW I CAN SHOW YOU THESE ITEMS*********

What would I need to do to run this on a normal outlet?

I have thought about the drill method... I would def get harbor freights extended warranty on it that way if it blows up ...

How about this motor off eBay?
Specs-

"Up for consideration is a Vintage Westinghouse 1/4 HP single phase AC electric motor in good working condition. Frame 545 Style 46A610. The motor turns at 1725 rpm and runs on 110 volt 60 cycle. It draws 4.8 amps It has the original brass/data plate, and cast iron mounting plate. The serial number is 1398039. There is a stamping 42-10-12."

Sorry, Bernie Brewer, you were saying this ebay one is 220v? Or were you talking about the first one I had listed at the beginning of the thread.

Seems like the ebay one listed below meets the requirements of others who have added the belt driven type setup to their mill. 1/4 HP seems better than the 1/8 HP some use.

"Up for consideration is a Vintage Westinghouse 1/4 HP single phase AC electric motor in good working condition. Frame 545 Style 46A610. The motor turns at 1725 rpm and runs on 110 volt 60 cycle. It draws 4.8 amps It has the original brass/data plate, and cast iron mounting plate. The serial number is 1398039. There is a stamping 42-10-12."

Sorry, Bernie Brewer, you were saying this ebay one is 220v? Or were you talking about the first one I had listed at the beginning of the thread.

Seems like the ebay one listed below meets the requirements of others who have added the belt driven type setup to their mill. 1/4 HP seems better than the 1/8 HP some use.

I was talking about the first one. Never even saw the second- didn't read closely enough. Sorry.

boo boo said:
I used this site http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/Sam's-Motorized-Grain-Mill as a template and ordered from Surplus in Neb. and got it in less than a week to my door. Pretty impressive seeing it had to clear customs etc.
And even though it is only 105 RPMs, it do drive my Barley Crusher perfectly.

Every time I Google to find a motor for my mill it eventually leads to a site similar to that which has a link for a motor that is no longer carried. Frustrating. Lol

I would look for a 1/2 or larger motor and make a variable speed pulley stack to better control the speed. but it wouldn't qualify as an ugly junk set-up anymore... I have thought about getting a nice old hardwood cabinet and building it into the cabinet and using it as a top for a kegerator aux dispenser. I could use a plate chiller in the kegerator and just run hoses to the tap. Lift the lid and toss in the grain, open the door and take out a BIAB bag ready to cook. Hmmmm... sounds like another project maybe... I got too many now!!!! Darn, this home brewing sure is a blast, wish I had more time and Money........
Wheelchair Bob

I would look for a 1/2 or larger motor and make a variable speed pulley stack to better control the speed. but it wouldn't qualify as an ugly junk set-up anymore... I have thought about getting a nice old hardwood cabinet and building it into the cabinet and using it as a top for a kegerator aux dispenser. I could use a plate chiller in the kegerator and just run hoses to the tap. Lift the lid and toss in the grain, open the door and take out a BIAB bag ready to cook. Hmmmm... sounds like another project maybe... I got too many now!!!! Darn, this home brewing sure is a blast, wish I had more time and Money........
Wheelchair Bob

Simpler way may be to use a gear reducer like this 10:1 at SC: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=13-175-10-S&catname=powerTrans

pWWEGRSC.jpg

Back