[Newbie] Found complete brewing system/kegerator on craigslist, will this be everything I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrew_hillbilly

Reaction score
Below is the ad for the kegerator/fermenter with all the supplies included, also a google doc with pictures of it and link to craigslist ad.

Photos of kegerator & it being built:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DHx4Q22pusqB3j1F8

I've never brewed beer before, always wine/cider, but I love beer and sick of wine so for the past few weeks I've been researching how to brew beer.

I found a guy on craigslist who is selling what looks like an almost complete setup, and for $700 it seems like a great investment that would pay itself off in under a year, as I normally spend a decent amount of money on store bought beer. It would also save me the hassle of having to buy everything separately, I'd rather just buy it all in one...

Basically I want to know if this is everything I need to accomplish what I want to do, and if not, what it's missing and what else I would need.

The first recipe I want to try is the Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale) by BierMuncher. I will be brewing ~5-10 gallon batches, keg it and force carbonate. All the equipment needed for that looks to be included minus the 5g carboys, and pot for boiling the wort.

Questions:

Will this control the temperature needed for fermentation? I live in a cold climate, the temp in my house fluctuates a lot, will this do the job at keeping it at a stable temp?

Will the kegs keep the beer carbonated for a couple weeks? I heard kegs sometimes lose carbonation quickly ? If not, how often would I be re-carbonating?

Are these kegerators supposed to be mainly for keeping kegs cool and using it to tap the kegs? I'll likely be continuously fermenting/drinking up the last batch, so I'm not sure if I would be using it to tap at all. Or can one side be used for heating/fermenting, and the other for cooling/tapping? If not, is it a waste of money/space if I'll only be using it as a fermentation device / is there a better/cheaper alternative?

Is there anything missing, any other major supplies needed to get the job done from boiling to carbonation?

Craigslist ad:

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/app/6978301315.html

"I built this kegerator in 2015 from the ground up. I'm in the appliance service trade so I have the knowledge to make this...better than a store bought! I have all the pics of the build process that i can share upon request. My whole goal in building this was to be able to serve beer on tap as well as have a temperature controlled fermentation chamber. Mission accomplished! And it makes a great work table on brew days. I never finished the exterior because i liked the look of the paneling i put on. You could easily paint it to your liking.

There are 2 chambers. Both controlled with STC-1000 temperature controllers. The front, serving, chamber can chilled to around 3c. The rear chamber can range from 1 degree above the front chamber to as warm as you need. I wouldn't run higher than 25c for whatever reason. There is a small heater in the rear chamber to make sure it can achieve whatever temperature you choose.

It can accommodate both a glass carboy or a SS Brewbucket.

I currently only run soda water and previously the rear chamber had kombucha on tap. I've retired from brewing beer for some time now. However, when brewing, I was able to produce my best ever lager to date. I produced the starter and fermented in a very accurately temperature controlled chamber.

Being unique like it is, I understand there will be lots of questions. I can arrange for viewings on the weekend. Will consider reasonable offers.

Equipment included: (ALL FROM OBK)
CO2 Tank Options:5 Lb CO2 Tank
Regulator:primary 2P Regulator (Poly) [T742-2
2 x Perlick S.S FC Beer Faucet (650SS)
(2):Black Plastic Standard Tap Handles
5 Gallon New Cornelius Ball Lock Keg (AMCYL)
5 Gallon New Cornelius Ball Lock Keg (AMCYL)
Faucet Wrench
2 of cmbecker-ball-lock-bev-mfl: CM Becker Ball Lock Liquid Disconnect - 1/4" MFL
2 of cmbecker-ball-lock-gas-mfl: CM Becker Ball Lock Gas Disconnect - 1/4" MFL
2 of gas-tubing-assembly: Gas Tubing Assembly
1 of linecleanerkit: Line Cleaner Kit
2 of ss-4-1-8-shank: Stainless Steel Beer Shank - 4 1/8"
2 of ss-swivel-nut-5-16: Stainless Steel Swivel Nut - 1/4" FFL X 5/16" OD Barb
2 of washer-flare-swivel-nut: Nylon Flare Fitting Washer - 1/4"
1 of taprite-t742-2: Taprite Primary Dual Product Co2 Regulator (Poly Bonnet, 60 PSI & 2000 PSI) [T742-2]
1 of DELUXE-WRENCH: Deluxe Beer Faucet, Nut & Beer Tower Wrench (Dual Ended)
Stainless Steel Wall Mount Drip Tray - 6" X 4" X 1"
STC-1000 x 2
https://www.amazon.ca/Inkbird-All-P...sr_1_1?keywords=stc1000&qid=1568429984&sr=8-1

Thanks for taking the time to read :)

This looks like a unique and well thought out combination kegerator/fermentation chamber and the asking price seems reasonable. It will ferment one batch while serving two others.

With regard to your other questions-a keg is just a big beer can. If properly maintained, corny kegs will keep beer carbonated to the last drop. Once carbonated, the beer will stay carbonated. Does this equipment contain most of what you need to brew? No. This is a fermentation/serving appliance. There is no brewing equipment included. You will have to decide how you want to brew (extract, all grain, BIAB, two or three vessel, etc.) and acquire the equipment appropriate to your chosen method. There are, literally, hundreds of threads here dealing with the answers to those, and other, burning questions.

Good luck, and keep asking questions. Trying to give pithy, useful answers, while appearing more authoritative than other posters, is just one of the many services we provide. :cool:

I priced out for someone the components needed for a 4 tap keezer, including the kegs, and depending on setup and parts selected, came in between $700 and $1200, IIRC. Choices such as new kegs vs. used kegs, new freezer vs. used, CO2 cylinder, size and new vs. CraigsList, taps used, etc.

This looks like a solid, well thought-out build. But it's only 2 taps, which could be expanded to 4 easily, when need arises.

Being able to ferment in the one section, while still serving 2 kegs from the other, is a real bonus. Most temp control for fermentations is only needed for the first week, or 2, the first week being the most critical. After that, a cool area for finishing to FG, and then a slightly warmer area for conditioning, etc. Many homes provide for those kind of "zoned" temp areas. When that 1st week (or 2) is done, you can put 2 kegs back in there. It may take a day or 2 to get them back down to temp, and carbonation may be a little wonky for a few days, but workable.

A few notes...
Beer line lengths looks short, 10-12 feet for 3/16" is much more "in line."
Or better yet, replace with EVA barrier line, which is much better (flavor neutral) than vinyl, and can be used in shorter lengths, since it's thinner. Using Duotight or John Guest push fittings is recommended for those lines, for both gas and liquid. So there may be an upgrade coming in the (near) future at extra cost. They need MFL fittings to connect to, except for the shanks.

Make sure the orientation of the taps in regards to the keezer dimensions works for you. Having taps on the short end is unusual.

Price out the components and see what offers you a better deal. Don't discount the actual building of a keezer, it takes a lot of time, especially if you want it looking extra nice. Then buy a new, or used freezer or fridge for fermentation, or repurpose an older one from your kitchen/basement.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back