Worth Buying this Second Hand Keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirt_McGirt

"We got food stamps. Glad to get the food stamps."
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 15-16 gallon kettle so I can move to all-grain BIAB.

Saw this on my local classifieds and was interested, given the price. Worth it?:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=38265782&cat=&lpid=1&search=kegs&ad_cid=12

I wonder a bit about that pipe nipple extension, but I figure I could always swap out fittings. Also wonder how well milled down the rim is, but I could work on that, too.

For comparison, I was instead considering a $130 kettle with valve and thermometer from Bayou Classic, or paying $180 for something similar from Colorado Brew Supply.

What say you, anonymous folk of HBT?

Not a bad deal but not the greatest either. Just for comparison sake, I often times have kegs in the store that range from $100 on up with welded fittings that we sell to locals here.

How far would you have to travel to pick it up?

Cheers
Jay

NorCal? From northern Utah?

Depending on the location, probably like 10-12 hours, one way. Cost of gas and time alone is prohibitive. Thanks for the feedback, tho.

FYI - same seller is selling another keggle with a welded ball valve for $150.

I think Jaybird meant to get the keggle that is local to you.

IMO I would go with the welded. Really it comes down to how often home brew stuffs comes up for sale.

I think Jaybird meant to get the keggle that is local to you.

IMO I would go with the welded. Really it comes down to how often home brew stuffs comes up for sale.

Ohhh...makes much more sense. It's probably about 5-6 miles away. What makes the welded so much better?

As for the secondary market, I've been looking for about a month and this is the first offer in my size range I've seen. Mostly it's people selling beginner Mr. Beer or Midwest starter sets, or entire nano-brewery setups and the like for $1200-$3500. Individual components are harder to come by.

ha ha ha Yeah I was just suggesting to take into account how far you have to drive to get it etc. Definitely not trying to sell you a kettle, just using it as an example.
As for welded vs Weldless there is no really "better" there is "preference" to take into account.
Man if its in budget and something you have been looking for I would JUMP on it. I mean you're getting a 15.5 gallon kettle WITH ball valve AND some sort of dip tube for $100.
I know they say firm..BUT I think they will take $90...LOL

Cheers
Jay

ha ha ha Yeah I was just suggesting to take into account how far you have to drive to get it etc. Definitely not trying to sell you a kettle, just using it as an example.
As for welded vs Weldless there is no really "better" there is "preference" to take into account.
Man if its in budget and something you have been looking for I would JUMP on it. I mean you're getting a 15.5 gallon kettle WITH ball valve AND some sort of dip tube for $100.
I know they say firm..BUT I think they will take $90...LOL

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the help, guys. Gotta run the expense by SWMBO tonight (we agreed on a $50 threshhold), and will decide tomorrow.

Back