Wort is up with my wort? (pumpkin ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabot

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have seen for myself all the posts about "did I mess this up" etc. This is slightly different, as I'm not worried that I messed it up, I'm just more curious as to what this could be.

Here's the culprit
punkin.jpg

I brewed this last thursday (the 21st), it has been fermenting for exactly a week. I am anxious to move it to the secondary, but wanted to make sure fermentation was complete first. So I took the cover off today to take a hydrometer reading. It is reading at 1.011-1.012. My OG was 1.055, so it should be very close to done. Upon taking the cover off I was greeted with what looks like the stuff that grows in between my mother in law's toes. I boiled with canned pumpkin, and transferred it to the primary with the wort. My first assumption is that this stuff at the top is the pumpkin...but man..it doesn't look like pumpkin. I was able to push some of it to the side (accompanied by an awesome, pulling apart a grilled cheese sandwhich, noise) and see the wort below it. It looks great.

So point in case...wtf is this stuff? It doesn't look infectionish...I dunno what it looks like actually. I'd RDWHAHB but I don't have any brews ready to drink yet :(.

Any input?

PS: this stuff is also slowly bubbling. Like you'd expect to see on a desolate pumpkin scum volcanic island

it is most likely the pumpkin, because you added it later and didn't cook it with your wort it is floating on top instead of settling to the bottom. With all of my pumpkin beers there is a tremendous amount of trub from all the pumpkin fibers which are largely unfermentable.

That is what I suspected. It's good to hear it from somebody else though :) Thanks Donasay

Lol! Best of luck to ya MgMt! Lemme know how it comes out. I'm gonna grab a taste of mine when I rack to the secondary (hopefully today if fermentation has stopped)

Well I hope yours comes out well too. I will keep you posted. Just out of curiosity is yours an extract kit? Where did you get it from? What does the ingredient list look like?

This is an extract brew. No kit. I started with Yuri Rage's Thunderstruck Pumpkin recipe and then took my own liberties to it. My favorite fall ale so far has been Shipyard's Pumpkinhead. I looked into it, they say it is a wheat ale. So instead of the Amber extract I used American Wheat extract. 8lb (liquid) as I wanted to bump up the ABV. I cut out the biscuit malt and ended up using this stuff called "special b" in it's place. It is supposed to infuse a raisiny type character. I also nix'd the wheat flakes. I used five cans of libbys pumpkin. I also used 4oz (2 packages) of goldings hops. I added the first 2oz at the beginning of my 60 min boil and the other 2oz with 15 minutes left.

I used fresh spices..got them at my local earthy/hippy store. Bought a mortal and pestle and ground them myself. Except the cinnamon stick, I left them whole. So with 5 minutes left in the boil I added my spices...just dumped them into the boil. (As far as exact measurements, I kinda eyeballed the spices to what I think would be good...time will tell). (I also added 2 cups of sucrose in the last 5 min of the boil. my LHBS told me that a lot of people advise against it, citing a cidery taste in the beer...but he said that is because they "boil the **** out of the sugar so its not fermentable". By adding it at the very end, just enough so it dissolves, the sugar will ferment.

When the boil was done, I added the whole kit'n'kabootle to the fermenter. Locked it up and let it sit. So far so good. This is it's 8th day of fermentation. It has slowed, but is still going. My OG was around 1.055, and the gravity right now is 1.010. I'm going to check it after work today and if it is stable, I'm going to move it to the secondary for a few weeks of clearing. Depending on how it tastes now, I will also be adding a 'spice tea' (a cup or two of water that I heated and steeped my spices in for 15-20 min) to the secondary for flavor. Then it's off to bottling, hopefully be drinking it in time for halloween and still have some left for thanksgiving.

Sorry for the small rant there! But that (off the top of my head) is how it went down ;)

yea.. that don't look so good but I bet it tastes awesome!!!

my rasberry stuff looked like someone's brain exploded all inside my primary... it was soo disgusting looking and make me sick to my stomache...

so much that I HAD to rack it to a secondary so I didn't have to look at the white pigmentless brain mass floating on the top.

Regardless of how it looks... it looks normal.

yea.. that don't look so good but I bet it tastes awesome!!!

my rasberry stuff looked like someone's brain exploded all inside my primary... it was soo disgusting looking and make me sick to my stomache...

so much that I HAD to rack it to a secondary so I didn't have to look at the white pigmentless brain mass floating on the top.

Regardless of how it looks... it looks normal.

I've seen that sight a couple of times. Isn't it weird how the color just disappears from the raspberries and they just turn into a nasty white mess?

The gravity remained the same so I am assuming fermentation is completed. If there was any fermenting left to be done, it wasn't much, and the 2 weeks in the secondary should be enough time to be sure.

I lost a lot of wort due to the trub. I'm thinking almost a gallon! This is my first time using a secondary, and this carboy. It's a 6.5 gallon carboy. The sediment at the bottom appeared not even a half hour after racking! And I had thrown away a garbage bag of trub from the primary! There's a lot of crap in there and it was darn near impossible to rack it without getting some of it.

racked.jpg

I'm wondering if it would be necessary or to rack this yet again in a week or two back into my primary (plastic food grade bucket) and then bottle a week beyond that. I don't really want to lose any more wort than I already have.

I'm hoping I can leave it in the secondary long enough that everything settles..and I'll be able to bottle without getting any of the trub...o_O

ps: and thank you for the input Bads. I am getting psyched for this brew!

I'd leave it how it is for 2 weeks then rack to the bottling bucket being careful not to suck up what has settled on the bottom.

Thanks for this post! We just put together our first pumpkin ale and are not sure what to expect. We boiled the pumpkin for the entire length of the boil with no burning. We rack this baby into secondary this Wed. Thanks! :rockin:

I would have propped your fermenters up on one side so come time to rack most will settle in one corner and you will have a cleaner side to work with...

I'm fermenting Pumpkin Spice Ale right now. I'm thinking about not racking to a secondary. Is it gonna be real murky looking?

Propping the fermenter would have been a really good idea...might not be too late. I'm bottling on Thursday. Going to add the "spice tea" this afternoon. DiscoFetus, glad you found it useful! Post up some pics of your pumpkin ale! I'm interested to see how mine compares to others (as far as looks/process)!

Dzamba, I am going to assume it will be murky. You're going to have an awful time bottling/kegging without sucking up trub without going to the secondary. IMHO.

Cabot I just brewed my pumpkin ale this weekend and damn was there a lot of **** left over that needed to be thrown out. I put all the pumpkin in a fine hop bag but by the time I took it out the bag was pretty much empty.

So it looks like right now I am about a 1/2 gallon short so we'll see how much I lose when racking to my secondary. Mine just started fermenting last night/this morning so I will post some pics as it goes for comparison.

I can't remember if you told me before in this thread but what is in your "spice tea"? I only added some cinnamon, nutmeg at the end of the boil and some brown sugar at the beginning. But from the taste of my sample it was what I was shooting for. I have decided I really don't like allspice.

Yeah, I believe i lost closer to a gallon on mine. I had put the pumpkin directly in the boil and left in the fermenter. I scooped it all off the top when racking to the secondary. Man there was a ton! I added cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and a touch of pumpkin spice at the very end of the boil...I'm a big fan of the spice, so what I intend to do is to steep those same spices in a hop bag into a cup or two of hot water, then let it cool and add that water to my secondary. I'm just referring to that as "spice tea" as I don't really know what else to call it.

So for the record my pumpkin ale looked nothing like yours on the top... thank god!

But I am a little worried today because it looks like my Krauzen dropped out already and I just brewed it on sunday. It seemed like it took a day or two to start and now it looks like it is done after a day or two.

I am gona take a gravity reading when I get home from work today to see where I am at (I am also gona take readings the next few days). Depending on what it reads I might have to pitch some more yeast and throw it in there.

Did you use canned pumpkin in the boil and also transfer it to the primary? I think that is what caused all the crap in mine. Mine took a little over a week to completely ferment. I had also added sugar at the end of the boil to boost the abv. That may have been why it fermented for so long.

What recipe are you using? Good luck and keep me updated, I'm interested to see how it turns out.

We tasted ours the other day...filtered it like crazy going into secondary, which is where it sits, sleeping...

The nutmeg was a little overpowering, but I think it will die out a little. The pumpkin also comes out. I'm excited to compare! I will post pics after its in a glass ready to be enjoyed! We haven't moved into glass yet so its hard to take pics of a of something you can't see through.

Did you use canned pumpkin in the boil and also transfer it to the primary? I think that is what caused all the crap in mine. Mine took a little over a week to completely ferment. I had also added sugar at the end of the boil to boost the abv. That may have been why it fermented for so long.

What recipe are you using? Good luck and keep me updated, I'm interested to see how it turns out.

That's how we did it. Canned pumpkin for the whole boil and 24 oz of molasses at the last 10 mins of the boil. Took about a week too. What yeast did you use? We hit it up with a German Ale/Kolsch yeast since the style is an old German style.

DiscoFetus,

I used Safale S-04, an English Ale yeast. It was recommended by my LHBS, seemed to do just the trick. I let it sit in the primary for 1 week, then racked to secondary for 2 weeks, and I bottled it last night. I lost a LOT of brew to the pumpkin. When I bottled, I had about 3.25 gallons of beer left...3.25 gallons of velvety, clear beer. I got just around 35 bottles. My biggest fear now is with priming sugar. I had the beer in a 6 gallon carboy (first time I've used it), and it was a crapshoot as to how much beer I actually had. I guestimated around 4 gallons...measured out priming sugar for 4 gallons, then took a bit out, as I'd rather undershoot. Once the beer was in the bottling bucket I saw I had 3.25 as stated above. I am PRAYING for no bottle bombs. Perhaps just very fizzy beer...

Molasses you say? Does the taste come through well? I am a big fan of the spices, so I probably spiced mine a touch heavy..I think it will be fine though as the pumpkin taste was SO strong.

When all is said and done I'd be more than happy to send you a few bottles if you'd be up for sending me a few of yours to try out!

Dzamba, I am going to assume it will be murky. You're going to have an awful time bottling/kegging without sucking up trub without going to the secondary. IMHO.

Thanks, Cabot. I racked it to a secondary. I had to pick up an extra carboy. I'm sure it'll be worth it.

DiscoFetus,

I used Safale S-04, an English Ale yeast. It was recommended by my LHBS, seemed to do just the trick. I let it sit in the primary for 1 week, then racked to secondary for 2 weeks, and I bottled it last night. I lost a LOT of brew to the pumpkin. When I bottled, I had about 3.25 gallons of beer left...3.25 gallons of velvety, clear beer. I got just around 35 bottles. My biggest fear now is with priming sugar. I had the beer in a 6 gallon carboy (first time I've used it), and it was a crapshoot as to how much beer I actually had. I guestimated around 4 gallons...measured out priming sugar for 4 gallons, then took a bit out, as I'd rather undershoot. Once the beer was in the bottling bucket I saw I had 3.25 as stated above. I am PRAYING for no bottle bombs. Perhaps just very fizzy beer...

Molasses you say? Does the taste come through well? I am a big fan of the spices, so I probably spiced mine a touch heavy..I think it will be fine though as the pumpkin taste was SO strong.

When all is said and done I'd be more than happy to send you a few bottles if you'd be up for sending me a few of yours to try out!

The first thought was maple syrup, but due to cost restraints we decided to switch it up. I think the molasses flavor will come out with more aging, but it did add a nice color to the whole thing.

We lost a good bit racking into secondary as well. We filtered it a few times to pull out the bulk of the pumpkin and it cleared very well. Reading threads in here and some articles we used about a 3 gallon boil, and then added water to meet about 5.75 gallons, so we should bottle just about 4.75 gallons if not a little more.

I'm down for some trade-sies!

Last week I took a reading of mine and the fermentation was pretty much wrapped up. However I didn't really like the flavor so i went to my homebrew shop and talked to the guy. He told me to add two more 30oz cans with equal parts water as well as 2 tablespoons malasses. So I did that and just checked the gravity again and it is down to 1.010 and it tasted a lot better.

I would be up for some trades if I can fill some bottles from my keg. I need to make that beer gun from the "we don't need no stinkin beer gun" thread. I am just using a midwest extract kit but with the addition of the extra pumpkin and malasses I am really happy with it now. I think I will transfer it to my secondary tonight so I can free up one of my primaries for my maple syrup dark ale!!!!

Last week I took a reading of mine and the fermentation was pretty much wrapped up. However I didn't really like the flavor so i went to my homebrew shop and talked to the guy. He told me to add two more 30oz cans with equal parts water as well as 2 tablespoons malasses. So I did that and just checked the gravity again and it is down to 1.010 and it tasted a lot better.

Did you sanitize/pasturize the additional pumpkin before adding it?

Dzamba, no doubt, you'll be happy you spent the extra $.

DiscoFetus, you folks are a smarter breed over there in PA I suppose. I never once thought of adding more to the boil/wort to compensate for the sludge. I just chalked it up as a loss. That's what drinking on the job gets ya ;) I'm interetsed about the molasses. It might be something that will find its way into my recipe next season!

MgMt - 1.010 is almost exactly where mine finished off! This thread is growing, and that's exciting. I'm loving hearing about everyone's pumpkin brew. I'm also pumped you folks are up for some swapping. We'll have to all get in touch when our brews are done to make sure everyone gets some of each.

I'm working on coming up with brewery/beer names for ****s and giggles. My last name is Milligan, and after some research I found it originates from the Irish name of O'Maolagain.

My first thought was O'Maolagain's Blumpkin Brew (with some horrendously funny, yet terribly innappropriate label ideas)...But my mom wants some of it, and I don't think she'd be so fond of a visual depiction of pumpkins getting blumpkins *sigh*...any thoughts on names? What are you all calling yours? Making labels?

Dzamba, no doubt, you'll be happy you spent the extra $.
My first thought was O'Maolagain's Blumpkin Brew (with some horrendously funny, yet terribly innappropriate label ideas)...But my mom wants some of it, and I don't think she'd be so fond of a visual depiction of pumpkins getting blumpkins *sigh*...any thoughts on names? What are you all calling yours? Making labels?

Haha I really should start thinking of names for my beers but I never have. I will start the wheels turning and see if I can pump out anything. No lables either, my budy who is into graphic design told me that he would create some designs for me in I ever wanted so I might have to start taking him up on it and maybe slap it on the side of my kegs are maybe just keeping them in some sort of ablum for memory sake :drunk:

i just ordered my pumpkin brew from AHS and am really looking forward to this brew. i picked up 2 small pie pumpkins today (4 lbs total) to use instead of cans. when i throw them in the oven, i think i'm going to try dusting them with a little cinnamon and allspice for a little extra flavor. has anyone had any success using real pumpkin?

I have not used real pumpkin. After using real fruit for an apricot blackberry I decided it would have been way easier to use canned puree and it might have even come out better. Im not sure exactly what you need to do but I would suggest trying to brew extra because you will lose a lot to the pumpkin.

I just racked mine to the secondary and it looks like I am a little over a gallon short :( but what ever it tasted pretty good and maybe I can avoid it next time...

golfguy, I considered using whole pumpkins as well. What my LBHS told me, if I went that route, was that you want to quarter the pumpkin, then bake it in the oven until it becomes tender. (putting spices on it is fine), then take it out and cut it into 1in cubes. Then you wanna get a grain bag and put your pumpkin in there. Add it to the boil and then remove the bag afterwards (OR, keep the bag in your primary if you wish, but remove it before going to the secondary). This should infuse some pumpkiny goodness for ya!

Bummer on the brew loss MgMt, I feel your pain ;) Now we both know for next time. Never underestimate the pumpkin trub!

Yeah there was a ton of trub... Maybe using the real pumpkin would reduce the amount of trub??? Im just thinking that because it wouldn't be so much puree. But at the same time I don't know if it would help reduce the amount you lose becasue the pumpkin cubes might soak it up. Let us know what you do golfguy and how it turns out!

Yeah there was a ton of trub... Maybe using the real pumpkin would reduce the amount of trub??? Im just thinking that because it wouldn't be so much puree. But at the same time I don't know if it would help reduce the amount you lose becasue the pumpkin cubes might soak it up. Let us know what you do golfguy and how it turns out!

will do....i was also thinking that using real pumpkin might reduce the amount of trub as well and not result in pumpkin pie effect. plus i also have a fine mesh grain bag that i'm going to throw the pumpkin in as well. as for the cubes, i'm not going to leave it in cube form. i'm going to mash it a little bit (kinda think like a baked potato).

Sounds cool golfguy! Prepare for mega-trub! By mashing it, you are ending up with something similar to what MgMt and myself had used. I believe the taste will be great, but keep in mind that both MgMt and myself lost close to, or over a gallon of wort!

will do....i was also thinking that using real pumpkin might reduce the amount of trub as well and not result in pumpkin pie effect. plus i also have a fine mesh grain bag that i'm going to throw the pumpkin in as well. as for the cubes, i'm not going to leave it in cube form. i'm going to mash it a little bit (kinda think like a baked potato).
Just so you know I used a fine mesh grain bag as well to try and reduce the amount of pumpkin in the wort. However by the end of the boil there was pretty much nothing left in the bag so it was pretty worthless.

I also tried to put the wort though a strainer before it went into my fermenter. It worked a little but I just didn't have the patients to wait for it all to go through since it was clogging up the strainer so much. I would recommend using a strainer but plan on it taking maybe 30 minutes.

Oh and one more thing :) I tried to whirlpool the chilled wort so that everything would settle in the middle. However I don't think I waited long enough and I did not use a siphon. Maybe if you whirlpool the wort and then siphon from the edges you can keep most of it out of your fermenter...... god speed :cross:

my funnel also came with a fine mesh screen, so i don't mind the wait (plus gives me an excuse to drink more beer in the process):mug: thanks for the advice, i might have to give it a try if i start to get frustrated

Back