Wort Foaming Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnotherRob

Reaction score
When transferring wort from a bucket into a carboy (which had some StarSan bubbles inside), the wort foamed considerably, backing out of the funnel and over the mouth of the carboy. When faced with letting the foam settle or pitching the yeast, I decided for the latter. Even though I pitched very slowly, some additional foam built up and actually caused some of my starter to spill out.

So, anyone had that happen? What's the solution? Right now I'm planning to sanitize the night before brewing to see if the complete absence of StarSan in the carboy is the answer. However, I'm also wondering if I created more trouble than necessary by transferring wort from kettle to bucket to carboy. Should I just skip the bucket in the future?

Appreciate your replies.

I syphon my wort from kettle to carboy, shake the crap out of it for a while then pitch my yeast. I would cut out the extra step. The less you handle your beer the less your chance of infection. I also would not sanitize the night before. Starsan needs to be wet to work so after it dries if something gets in will not be killed.

I add aerated water to the carboy when I have done a partial boil. I pour from the boil kettle through a mesh bag and strainer into the carboy. Then I do the shake and swirl for about three minutes. Carboy is on wood when I do this.

Starsan is only effective if the surface stays wet. Doing it the night before is not a good idea.

You can use a spray bottle to spray on the Starsan then dump it all out just before transferring. I would wait for the foam to subside a little, then pitch.

I just dump the wort from my kettle (valve) to the fermenter, shake well, if there is too much foam I wait a little then pitch. Usually it only takes a minute or two for the foam to subside.

I'm not sure why the extra step of of going to the bucket before the carboy would cause your issue but it does seem rather unnecessary. Next time try going directly to the carboy and see if you still have an issue.

Sanitize it the night before, and either keep it inverted on a towel or put a piece of sanitized foil snuggly squeezed around the top. It will be fine. I don't care for StarSan bubbles in my beer either.

Thanks for the help, folks. I'll alter my approach during my next batch and let you know how it worked out.

Happy brewing, happier imbibing.

Here's another point to concider. Are you cranking the heat wide open after mashing to get to a boil? I learned from Yooper that this gives a better hot break. I've gotten hot breaks this way that aren't very voliminus,but quite dense...like thick heavy cream dense. Then let it boil vigorously for a minute or two before turning down to an even,but not crazy rolling boil. This gives a good hot break Which gives less dissolved protiens later. The evenly rolling,gentler boil has the effect of less boil off,always a good thing. Then getting the wort down to low end pitch temp asap also gives good cold break,another good thing clarity-wise.
I'm wondering if not getting good "breaks" with excessive dissolved protiens might be causing your foaming issues? It sounds like when you pour a beer too aggresively...

Latest posts

Back