Wort Cooling Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kepo

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to cool wort this way? I had an idea then I saw someone mention it in the coments of an article on this Forum.

Insted of using a wort chiller to run water through, what if you used say a 20 foot coil in a 5 gal bucket filled with Ice water? Cut a hole in the bottom of the bucket for the bottom coil to come out and seal with silicone. Use a tube hooked to a siphon or ball valve and run the wort into the fermenter through the coil?

It just seem to me that this could work well. You could even take it a step further and use a wort chiller to cool the wort to a certain temp before running it through.

Thoughts???

I think its a novel idea. But I am not sure if post boil wort would chill much at all with 20 feet; could be wrong though. I would also be worried about the coil getting clogged with hop debris and other trub. I think I remember this being discussed else where. I'd do some more searching.

I tried to search but did not see what I was looking for. mabye I was searching the wrong way so I will try again.

It seems to me that people use other chillers hooked to the ball valve and run the wort through. heck you could increas the hte coil length if you needed. This would save on all the water that is required to run a traditional wort chiller.

I was planing on making a wort chiller in the next couple weeks and may just give this a try first. if it doesnt work then I only have a few more steps until its a traditional wort chiller.

Your ice won't remain ice for very long enough either. I think it will melt too quick for it to be a viable option.

You can easily have extra ice on hand and add to the bucket as needed

Back