wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
for anybody who had made a home made wort chiller:
1. How much does the copper tubing cost on average per foot?
2. What lengthe and diameter are optimal?

hopsalot said:
1. How much does the copper tubing cost on average per foot?

That depends on where you buy it. If you're a contractor or have a friend who is, you can probably get it cheaper than Home Depot sells it for.

That said, most people will go to a place like Home Depot for it and they charge about $35 for 25 feet and about $60 for 50 feet in my area.

hopsalot said:
2. What lengthe and diameter are optimal?

That depends on the size batches you're going to brew. A 25 foot cooler will work for 5 gallon batches though a 50 foot is better. For anything over 5 gallons a 50 foot is almost a must. Beyond 10 gallons and many people prefer to use other methods to cool their wort than an immersion chiller.

Just dropped into Lowes today to price some copper tubing, I recently made a keggle and am in need of a chiller so I can stop running out of beer in between batches. (Currently only brewing 5g at a time...maybe I just need to stop sharing). 50' of 1/2" copper tubing was

$117

Not really sure what I am going to do...that is rediculiously expensive for something I may outgrow in the future.

I made a 50' IC out of 3/8" copper a few months ago. I think the tubing was $60 or so. The 50' chiller chills 5 gals quickly (~12 minutes with cold well water). If cost is a consideration, 25' will work well. 3/8" diameter is sufficient.

There are actually too grades, one has thicker walls, so it costs more. The lower grade is all you'll need.

Home Depot's website says 6ft of 3/8 copper tubing is $4.99. That would put 50ft of tubing right around $40.

BNVince said:
Home Depot's website says 6ft of 3/8 copper tubing is $4.99. That would put 50ft of tubing right around $40.
Copper prices are affected by geographic location. $26.53/20ft where I'm at. (thats why they have you enter your zip code)

I just made one from Lowes and spent apx $65 between cooper and hose. If I where to do it again I would probly get one off ebay first. Tighter wound coil similar in price or possiably better. just My thoughts..

Edit: It may have been $50 for the 50'. I can't remember anymore....

The tubing online site looks like a good deal.

PM me if you have questions on making one - it's not real hard. I'm not real handy, and mine turned out pretty nice.

3/8" is what I used, and it really cools quick (at 50').

25' of 3/8" would work fine if the cost is a concern. 1/2" would be great (but expensive and overkill IMO). More so for 3/4".

Question- Do Wort chillers need to be thoroughly cleaned and sanatized prior to use?

I know they are being dipped into boiling wort- and need to be cleaned either way! but I havent seen anyone mention this.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Question- Do Wort chillers need to be thoroughly cleaned and sanatized prior to use?

I know they are being dipped into boiling wort- and need to be cleaned either way! but I havent seen anyone mention this.

Immersion chillers need to be cleaned. Drop in 15 mins before end of boil to sanitize, then hook up the hose and fire it up. CFC will need to be cleaned and sanitized.

I put mine in during my aroma hop addition with the inlet hose hooked up.
The boiling sanitizes the chiller.

Keep the outlet hose aimed away from your person, since steam and hot water can/will shoot out of it when the chiller is in the boil.

After you're done chilling, you will want to clean the hop gunk and trub off of it before you put it away. For this, I collect the first few gallons of really hot exhaust water in a bucket and dunk the chiller in it. (Oh, and during the chille, don't stick a hand in the stream of exhaust water to see if the chiller's working - it is, and the water will be scalding hot).

Post a pic when you get it built.

Back