Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesd25

Reaction score
Was wondering if using just 1/4" copper tubing would work for a wort chiller? Ive seen most using 3/8", but was able to get a 50ft roll for free, didnt know if anyone else used it or not? thanks for input!

I'm not an expert yet but I have 20' of 3/8 so I don't see why 50' of 1/4 wouldn't work. I would just say be carful when coiling it to not kink it really.

I used my IC for the first time Sat. and it took 200 deg. wort to 70 in 15 min. Mine is a 1/2" x 20'. So with those kind of results I'd say yours would take a little longer, but use it.
Especially if its free!

:mug:

I made my chiller from 50' 3/8" soft tubing from lowes

I created it so that the coil closest to the top is fully submerged @5.5 gallons.

I've made 4 batches so far and it cools to 68 degrees in between 10 and 12 mins.

I would imagine that the 1/4" tubing would get the job done in less than 15 mins. Worth a shot since it was free.

This is my equipment I just looked at everything my friend had to brew with and shipped around for the cheapest stuff. Do much cheaper than buying a kit off a web site.

image-3639607275.jpg

Thanks for the input guys! Really helped me out alot, I actually got some 3/8" copper today to so i'll prob go ahead and use it, is 50' overkill? or would 25' do the trick? thanks again for advice!

Depends where you live. I have a coil that's hooked up to the hose and a coil that sits in the kettle. The coil that's hooked up to the hose sits in an ice bath and is around 20' of 3/8" tubing, the 30' of 3/8" tubing that sits in the kettle. Works really well during the 6-8 months out of the year that it's 90+ degrees here. This is what it looks like: http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n572/bkjamin/20120630_194306.jpg

Depends where you live. I have a coil that's hooked up to the hose and a coil that sits in the kettle. The coil that's hooked up to the hose sits in an ice bath and is around 20' of 3/8" tubing, the 30' of 3/8" tubing that sits in the kettle. Works really well during the 6-8 months out of the year that it's 90+ degrees here. This is what it looks like: http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n572/bkjamin/20120630_194306.jpg

I'm liking that idea. Now you have me thinking about taking apart my 50'er and making a 20' and a 30'. Clever idea.

My 1/4" is OD refrigeration. I live in MO so one day it could be 90 and the next be 70, the weather is crazy all year round!

I'm liking that idea. Now you have me thinking about taking apart my 50'er and making a 20' and a 30'. Clever idea.

Thanks man. It was around $80 total including some pipe benders; $10 for a tool to not put a kink in $40 worth of copper was well worth it. I spent awhile trying to figure out how to attach the tubing to the copper. I found some compression fittings that work like a charm, but they weren't cheap. Even with the TX heat, I get down to pitching temps in around 10-15 minutes. I also freeze 32oz of distilled water in sanitized tupperware and throw that in when i kick on the hose.

My 1/4" is OD refrigeration. I live in MO so one day it could be 90 and the next be 70, the weather is crazy all year round!

I would use as much of that 50' as you can get in the kettle. The time it takes to cool down is directly proportional to the surface area of your chiller line. Your tap water is probably cool enough to keep your chiller simple. Make sure to solder your hose connection; 1/4" tubing will build up a lot of pressure at the hook up really quick. You don't want that connection to fail right in the middle of a cool...trust me, I've been in that boat.

So the 3/8" copper I got is a 20' piece and a 10' piece I used a compression fitting to tie the two together and put teflon on the compression fitting. Is there anything I should be worried about with this setup? ie: the brass compression fitting, small amount of teflon showing, etc? Just don't want to contaminate the next batch I brew. Thanks for advice

No, if all the connections are secure, nothing running through the lines will ever touch the beer. Teflon tape isn't needed, but if it's already there, it won't hurt anything. You don't need to sanitize the chiller, just remember to drop that bad boy into the boil 10 min before flame out and crank up the heat.

wesd25 said:
So the 3/8" copper I got is a 20' piece and a 10' piece I used a compression fitting to tie the two together and put teflon on the compression fitting. Is there anything I should be worried about with this setup? ie: the brass compression fitting, small amount of teflon showing, etc? Just don't want to contaminate the next batch I brew. Thanks for advice

Teflon is not necessary on compression fittings because they do not seal on the threads. They seal on the little tapered piece inside. When you tighten it it pushes that little piece into the tubing compressing it making an air/water tight seal.

Back