Has anyone ever used an aluminum wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beginnier927

Reaction score
I have 8 meters of 1cm thick aluminum tube and I thought why invest in a copper chiller when I can build my own chiller, aluminum has high thermal conductivity, my only concern is that it might change the flavor? Give it a metallic taste? The reason I think there might be something wrong about this is that I've never seen a brewer use an aluminum chiller, despite the fact that aluminum is way cheaper than copper

I've seen writings about passivation of aluminum, but never tried it it. Though I know there are some who have done so and even use aluminum pots, I have always tasted it when it's been part of the beer cycle. Aluminum is reactive enough I personally wouldn't recommend it, though others may disagree. Maybe if you have or get/build a glycol chiller you could wrap it around a fermenter?

I've seen writings about passivation of aluminum, but never tried it it. Though I know there are some who have done so and even use aluminum pots, I have always tasted it when it's been part of the beer cycle. Aluminum is reactive enough I personally wouldn't recommend it, though others may disagree. Maybe if you have or get/build a glycol chiller you could wrap it around a fermenter?
But copper doesn't? I mean I have made stews in copper pots and it tasted like copper, but for some reason everybody is using them so there's no doubt copper one of the best options out there

Eu tenho 8 metros de tubo de alumínio de 1cm de espessura e pensei porque investir em um chiller de cobre quando posso construir meu próprio chiller, o alumínio tem alta condutividade térmica, minha única preocupação é que isso possa mudar o sabor? Dá um gosto metálico? A razão pela qual acho que pode haver algo errado é que nunca vi um cervejeiro usar um resfriador de alumínio, apesar do fato de que o alumínio é muito mais barato que o
Olá saudações do Brasil, Aqui no Brasil o chiller com tubo de alumínio é o mais utilizado, 9 em cada 10 homebrews fazem uso deles.

É totalmente seguro e não sinto sabores estranhos à sua bebida.

O alerta é devido a limpeza, não use produtos de limpeza alcalinos

Last edited:
Olá saudações do Brasil, Aqui no Brasil o chiller com tubo de alumínio é o mais utilizado, 9 em cada 10 homebrews fazem uso deles.

É totalmente seguro e não sinto sabores estranhos à sua bebida.

O alerta é devido a limpeza, não use produtos de limpeza alcalinos
Greetings
Why did it get Brazilian (Portuguese) all of the sudden? 😂 Did you translate the op? Anyway, I will not use any type of low pH or high pH cleaners for this, I'll just wash it with tap water and then I'll sanitize it in the boiling wort

I've used aluminum cookware, passivizing it is easy and just requires a water boil until the interior darkens. The trouble is acidity will strip it off. I wound up giving away one of those pots to a buddy, who made homemade tomato sauce. It was shiny when he was done. This disturbed me since all that aluminum was now in the sauce.

I'd be cautious about using one as a kettle or MT though less so about making one an HLT. I'd also insulate since the thermal conductivity is rather high compared to stainless. They are cheap, but often craigslist or FB has people quitting the hobby with bundles that have pots for cheaper in my area, which is why I was happy to "outgrow" aluminum cookware.

Saudações
Por que ficou brasileiro (português) de repente? 😂 Você traduziu a operação? De qualquer forma, não vou usar nenhum tipo de limpador de pH baixo ou pH alto para isso, vou apenas lavar com água da torneira e depois vou higienizá-lo no mosto fervendo

O navegador da Internet traduz automaticamente.

Perfeito, esta é a melhor maneira de higienizar seu chiller.

Se possível, adicione mais comprimento a ele, assim será mais eficiente

There are people the boil in aluminum kettles so I don't know why an aluminum chiller will be any worse since it isn't going to be in there as long as a boil.

However you used the word "thick". And if you mean this is thick walled aluminum, then the rate of heat transfer won't be as good as would a thin walled aluminum tube or any other material.

I'd also think you'd have more issues trying to bend aluminum than you would if you just went to your plumbing supply and bought a coil of thin walled copper already in a coil and just tightened up the coil to fit your pot.

Also, aluminum is usually alloyed. So there are other things in your aluminum depending on what it's intended purpose is.

Copper tubing is almost always going to be made with the intention that it might be used for some type of food service even if it's just plumbing for carrying water.

With all the health problems associated with aluminum I'd recycle it and go buy ss or copper. Is possibly putting your health in danger worth 75 bucks?

Plenty of people make perfectly good beer in aluminum kettles. I'm pretty sure that tomato sauce is quite a bit more acidic than wort.
Oh for sure was radically more acidic. I'm mainly concerned about cumulative exposures over a lifetime and just trying to curb preventable causes, where possible.

but not concerned with the effects of alcohol during a lifetime of exposure?

No, actually. For a variety of reasons but top of the list is aluminum and alcohol are not nearly in the same risk category. But more importantly, I don't even drink that much. Any other questions?

Deaths or degenerative diseases related to the continuous consumption of soft drinks, beers, juices, energy drinks and many other drinks canned in aluminum (0 kills) :cool:

Deaths from consumption of a drink made occasionally by hobby in some aluminum equipment (All possible)

Humans....👽

Re: thin film between aluminium and product…. Yet another substance under scrutiny is the film. A particle in the air could do you in, depending on your genes and other variables. Simply live life, be kind and enjoy each day and your home brew experiences.

Yeah there's a thin plastic film between the beverage and the aluminum
Except your mouth and the liquid touches bare aluminum outside every time you drink a drop out of a can, plus if you eat out, there is an almost 100% chance they cooked your food in an aluminum pan. Largest manufacturer in the US of commercial restaurant pots and pans is 100% aluminum production.
You drink alcohol and are worried about the irrelevant amount of aluminum that this chiller might pick up?

OP, if you can bend the tube, it is safe to use. Btw, I mashed in aluminum pot for 20 years of homebrewing along with shrimp boils in another pot. (OH. 100% of the Cajun cookers are aluminum pots)
Get on with your life.....

Except your mouth and the liquid touches bare aluminum outside every time you drink a drop out of a can, plus if you eat out, there is an almost 100% chance they cooked your food in an aluminum pan. Largest manufacturer in the US of commercial restaurant pots and pans is 100% aluminum production.
You drink alcohol and are worried about the irrelevant amount of aluminum that this chiller might pick up?

OP, if you can bend the tube, it is safe to use. Btw, I mashed in aluminum pot for 20 years of homebrewing along with shrimp boils in another pot. (OH. 100% of the Cajun cookers are aluminum pots)
Get on with your life.....
Thanks for the reply
Actually I was more concerned about the off flavors which I realized is not an issue

I've been eating food cooked in aluminum pots my whole life

Neither have I. I go the old fashioned route. Fill my bathtub with cold water and ice cubes if I have it and set my two pots (totalling 5 gallons) right in the tub. It’s cool in 40 minutes and ready for the transfer and yeast. I have never had a problem with that in my 36 batches.

On the language Churchill said a people separated by a common language. Bill Bryson in his book Made in America says American English is closer to the language spoken by the Elizabethan fonders of American. The change of spelling is bizarre Tire meaning sleepy for a Tyre a rubber wheel covering, Math for Maths, Key (something that unlocks a door) for Quay a dock or harbour.

On the language Churchill said a people separated by a common language. Bill Bryson in his book Made in America says American English is closer to the language spoken by the Elizabethan fonders of American. The change of spelling is bizarre Tire meaning sleepy for a Tyre a rubber wheel covering, Math for Maths, Key (something that unlocks a door) for Quay a dock or harbour.
Well, isn’t that interesting! Thanks for replying. There’s a whole lot more to this brew site than I expected. Adding to your point on the change of spelling being bizarre, I suspect that Bill Gates and his pre-programmed language of twenty-five odd years ago is changing language again worldwide. At one point, it was difficult to type the spelling of a word to what was ‘local’ because Microsoft would change the spelling to American. Nowadays, I think we can add pronunciation to that, as computer generated voices from various devices on bus routes, etc., have newcomers to a country speaking with a computer accent. I have noticed this over the past decade.
Okay, back to my first attempt at Skeeter Pee. I’ve just finished part two of the process.
Cheers for your response.

Latest posts

Back