Wort chiller with press fitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joesf35

Reaction score
Ok, this addicting hobby is starting to dip into my son's diaper money! I have to wrap him in old tshirts. ;)

Trying to make a wort chiller with a precooler, to take down the temp of the ground water. I can get 50ft of 3/8 copper tubing for $40.
Question is, does anyone know of a press fitting for cooper that will mate with a hose? I can't afford any brazing equipment. Thanks.

Ok, this addicting hobby is starting to dip into my son's diaper money! I have to wrap him in old tshirts. ;)

Trying to make a wort chiller with a precooler, to take down the temp of the ground water. I can get 50ft of 3/8 copper tubing for $40.
Question is, does anyone know of a press fitting for cooper that will mate with a hose? I can't afford any brazing equipment. Thanks.

A lot of people use compression fittings, but IMO due to the small ID of the fitting they restrict the flow too much. I found some brass barb to garden hose fittings at Lowe's - slipped the barb end OVER the tubing and soldered it with a propane torch. I used lead free solder because I already had it, but I suppose it's not really needed if it never comes in contact with the wort. I used two male garden hose fittings because I connect to my faucet with a washing machine hose - if you want to use garden hoses on input and output you'll need one male and one female fitting.
I used to use a prechiller, but have found that after I get the wort down to 80 or 90 degrees F (depending on the season) with tap water, it's more effective to fill my mash tun with ice water and recirculate it through the chiller with my pump.

I think I'll give the tubing a try. Water pressure is pretty high here. Using a pump for the ice water would be ideal but it would add cost.
Thanks

Back