Wort chiller when adding extracts late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcummings1998

Reaction score
Tonight I was feeling a little rambunctious, so I brewed a Sierra Nevada clone. Things went pretty well, especially after my mishaps this weekend with the summer ale.

Anyway, the recipe called for 1 cup of LME to start the boil, and the rest of the LME and the DME after the boil. That seemed weird based on the other beers i have done, but I've read about doing that, so that's not my concern.

My concern is that you normally throw the immersion chiller in with 15 mins left in the boil, but that won't work here. So I was wondering what people do. Do you turn off the burner, add the extracts, then put the chiller in? I guess as long as the temp was still high enough that would work, but I'm still curious.

I usually make sure my IC is clean and sanitized, then insert it after i am done adding all ingredients and have removed the wort from the heat.

+1,don't start cooling off any wort before you're done brewing it. Do your late malt additions first. I always add the DME,mix well,then add the LME last. I like to be sure the wort is hot enough to dissolve the DME,then the LME. Just make sure the LME is thoroughly mixed off the bottom of the BK.

He's not cooling off the wort before he's done brewing, he's sanitizing his immersion chiller by putting it in the last few minutes of the boiling wort. Boil sanitize in the wort.

Ah. He didn't clarify that. I think I'd just hit it with some star-san in a spray bottle myself. But that works too.

Alright, sounds about like what I expected. I rinsed off the chiller (it was clean to begin with) and threw it in after I dissolved the extracts. The wort was still around 180, so it wasn't like I put the chiller into cold wort.

Thanks guys.

Back