wort chiller rain barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotCline

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone here collects wort chiller waste water in a rain barrel. I was thinking of doing that and using the collected water for plants in the back yard. My question is if the plastic barrels are strong enough to withstand the hot water without warping or failing? Anyone else here do that?

I use one of my 275 Gallon IBC Tanks, then water plants, livestock or whatever needs water

I have dug wells so I hate to waste water

all the best

S_M

H_3886_L.jpg

It shouldn't warp or anything, but you can be extra cautious and collect your waste water when there's already some rain water inside the barrel.

Keep the really hot, first runoff, water for cooling. After about 5G it'll be plenty cool enough not to worry about warping. FWIW, that's exactly what I do, and it works great.

you can use the hot runoff for a load of laundry. Not sure what laundry usually needs a hot wash though... We use cloth diapers for my son and they get washed hot.

The blue rain barrels (or similar) are like MDPE, they should be fine at anything short of boiling. Probably even food safe.

This is a great idea. My rain barrels are very close to my back porch which is where I brew. I might try to rig something up.

Don't have a rain barrel yet. Just thought it would be a great idea. Living in phoenix, it would be empty 11 months of the year...

Back