Wort Chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNewbs

Reaction score
Hey all,

Built a wort chiller, but it seems... flimsy? Is that the right word? I used 3/8 OD copper, 50 ft. I'm concerned that I'm going to be clumsy and it's going to get mangled. I'd like to somehow join the coils together to create some stability. I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is. Soldering? Hose clamps? Elmers glue? (Kidding on the last one)

Thanks!

i have a ~80' 3/8" OD IC, its pretty solid. I ended up putting some extra solder to reduce space between coils. i guess hose clamps might work, but it would be hard to shimmy them over your connections and slide them down the tubing, depending on where you want to put them.

Buy some thick gauge copper wire and tie it. You could also just sweat on a piece of copper pipe as a support.

I built one out of a 20ft coil. I used it and it was about the same for 5 gallons as my partial boils in an ice bath, and much easier. I decided I wanted more so I bought another 20ft coil. I bent it a bit tighter so that it will fit inside the original one. I will connect the 2 pieces with a short section of hose. This gives me the ability to put one coil in ice water or both in the wort. I'm psyched to give it a try tomorrow. Don't know yet which way I'll go with the setup.

I have thought about getting some solid copper wire for stabilization. I would just weave it in and out around the tubing then twist the ends together - no solder.

Take an amount that is just taller than your chiller. Flatten it out with a hammer. Curl a hook around the top and bottom, just don't pull it down flat. It'll keep it from expanding out. That's what I did with the same stuff.

I weaved the ends through the coils on the way up and down so it spaces the coils nicely and keeps them sturdy.

i have a ~80' 3/8" OD IC, its pretty solid. I ended up putting some extra solder to reduce space between coils. i guess hose clamps might work, but it would be hard to shimmy them over your connections and slide them down the tubing, depending on where you want to put them.

All you would need to do is loosen the hose clamp all the way and put it on the coil wherever you want!

Back