Wort accidentally frozen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagersnob

Reaction score
I set my 100 degree wort in my temperature controlled deep freeze, set it at 44 degrees, and left it for 24 hours. Walked in to find that I forgot to put the temp probe in. The wort froze on top and about a half inch all around. So now it's all slushy. The plan is to warm it to fermentation temperature and then pitch. Will the fact that the wort was frozen and then thawed cause an off flavor?

I don't think partial freezing and then thawing is going to change the wort.
I'd be more concerned about the delayed pitch...

Cheers!

I really doubt it. Bring it back to the temperature and ensure it is uniform and well mixed and you should be good to go.

I just forgot to reset my my stc1000 after cold crashing my last brew. When my yeast "wasn't" working I looked up and saw 5*C on my controller. No worries, bumped it back to 18* and the next day, chugging right along. The yeast just took a little nap.

I'd be more concerned about the delayed pitch...

delayed pitch can be a problem because other microrganisms grow in the wort instead of yeast. but if the wort is frozen I doubt there can any infection developing...

Latest posts

Back