Worst style of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rauchbiers. I appreciate a hint of smoked malt in my porters or stouts, but these things taste like a campfire...in a bad way.

I've never seen a home brewer hate so many different kinds of beer.

What can I say? I know it's probably considered blasphemy in the homebrew world but I really like what I like and really dislike what I dislike. These beers all have qualities that I dislike and littel or none of the qualities that I do like in beer. :p

What can I say? I know it's probably considered blasphemy in the homebrew world but I really like what I like and really dislike what I dislike. These beers all have qualities that I dislike and littel or none of the qualities that I do like in beer. :p

Can't fault a man for knowing what he likes. :mug:

Doesn't Budweiser make a seafood beer? That would fly in the face of "there is no worst style beer" arguement. Thats pretty freakin bad man.

I was in a book store the other day and I saw a new (to me at least) book on home brewing called The Brooklyn Brew Shop's Beer Making Book. In it there's a recipe for a beer made with lobster. Really.

Mosher's Radical Brewing made reference to Cock Ale that used a whole raw chicken...I have never had anything like that but I have to imagine it is not very good

MrAverage said:
1)
5) Hop bombs - not a particular style, per se, but definitely a particular fad

As much as it may seem like a fad to u, much like reality tv, I don't think "hop bombs" are a fad. Once u start liking hoppy beer, its like liking chocolate

Darwin18 said:
Hefewiezens. The banana and clove flavors make me nauseous.

Not sure that I have ever had one that tastes of bananas and cloves, of so I wouldn't like or either.

This was a definite eye opener. Definitely not for me.
photo-1.jpg

A spontaneously fermented belgian ale. It smelled like athletes foot, and tasted the way vomit smells. Some people like it though, pretty bizarre.

Clt2DC said:
Not sure that I have ever had one that tastes of bananas and cloves, of so I wouldn't like or either.

This makes me think you have never had a hefewiezen

Actually I have has quite a few especially when I was in Germany this fall. Banana is not a flavor I have ever had in one. And I know people say it smells like cloves but I don't get it, pumpkin pie smells like cloves.

Sorry, but that makes no sense at all. You must not have the taste buds for banana and clove then, or you are associating those flavors with something else. As a lover of German Hefe's (and yes, I've spent a TON of time in Germany on multiple trips), I can guarantee you that you are missing those flavors and they are there.

PS, not trying to be a snob or a dick, just stating the obvious. If you aren't getting those flavors from hefeweizens, its definitely you, not the beers.

Well I've gotta say while I do enjoy one every once in a while I'm not the biggest fan of lambics, saisons or really funky Belgians. They have there place and I will brew some sometimes but will not have multiple pints in one sitting. SWMBO on the other hand loves Belgians!

i love hefe's and pale ales. i used to like belgians, but now can't stand them. choking down the last of a doppelbock i used to like now

I have a love hate relationship with smoke beers. Some examples I love (stone smoked porter, ass kisser porter pounder) while others I loathe (schenlerka smokebeer, Sam Adams Bonfire).

I've tried several smoke beers and haven't liked them. At. All.

That being said, I'd take one over the Michelob ultra my neighbor always wants to share!

I love this thread, and find it very interesting to see what other people do not like. Also very interesting with how opposed some people are are to specific styles.

Personally I think I may give smoked beers another chance soon, it being my least favorite style. Maybe even smoking some
malt and brewing a big sweet stout and seeing if a smoked malt would balance it out in a nice way.

thepartsmancometh said:

That being said, I'd take one over the Michelob ultra my neighbor always wants to share!

There is a pretty good smoked brew that Fort Collins Brewery puts out. I would try that one it may change your mind. That is if you can get it.

Ditto! Someone might make a good version of this style, but I've tried over a dozen, and they all taste like I imagine my clothes would after a good weekend camping. I really want to like it, but they're just gross.

Man, I'm all about Belgians. All shapes and styles. :)

That being said, any sort of pilsner has never really done anything for me. Can't win 'em all.

I like almost all styles given the right mood, I suppose. But berry anything, I am not a big fan of. Strawberry blond? Keep it. Leinenkugel's Berryweis (a SWMBO pick) made me want to kick puppies. Schlafly's raspberry wheat was god-awful the first taste, and it was a bit cool outside. After a blistering St Louis August day in the yard, it was decent, but not enough to call it good... But if that's your thing, tear it up.

i really wish i had more to contribute to this post. It's probably the reason i'm so fat. That and going to sleep after i crank out a batch of goo...

i really wish i had more to contribute to this post. It's probably the reason i'm so fat. That and going to sleep after i crank out a batch of goo...

Pardon my ignorance, but what the f*#k are you talking about?

Back