Worst style of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really get it from other things that are acidic, but it is definitely like my sinus just swell shut after drinking really sour beers. I have been fine with some framboise and other fruity lambics, but straight lambic and blended lambics seem to set me off.

I don't really get it from other things that are acidic, but it is definitely like my sinus just swell shut after drinking really sour beers. I have been fine with some framboise and other fruity lambics, but straight lambic and blended lambics seem to set me off.

How about berliner weiss?

The_Professor said:
Really? I love 1/2 smoked malt and 1/2pilsner.

Just something about smoked malt that leaves a bad tang in my mouth. I
have never had on that made me want to have another. I am not saying I would never try one again, I just wouldn't buy or brew one again.

I've had some rauchbiers that were delicious, and some that were like drinking a liquified virginia ham. I love a little smoky flavor in a scottish ale or a brown, but smoke is easily overdone.

not trying to sound arrogant, but have you had Southern Tier Pumpking? Easily, one of my favorite beers of all time. And i, like you, used to not care for pumpkin beer at all, i didn't see the attraction, but pumpking certainly fixed that

I haven't had that one - to be honest I haven't liked any I've tried. That being said I haven't tried many - I don't like pumpkin pie or pumpkin bars etc either. Just not my flavor.

I've seen it mentioned a couple times... but, any beer with fruit in it. Fruit has no place in beer.

The only beer I will drink with fruit in it is Corona (blech)... so it will kill the taste.

Gary

Fruit has no place in beer.

Are you talking about fruit as a garnish or fruit as an ingredient?

As a garnish, well, that's just your preference. I don't mind a lime from time to time, but that isn't exactly a beer style.

As an ingredient I will refer you to the BJCP Style Guidelines: 20A. Seems to me like fruit has such a prominent role in beer that it has been given it's own category.

Depending on where you are all ales would be called malt liquors.

Malt liquor is a very subjective term and has gone through several meanings over the years. I once read a book on brewing from the mid 1800's and they referred to beer and malt liquor as the same thing and used the terms interchangeably.

chili beer, if it's even a style. awful idea, imo.

I used to think so too....until I made one. Served it at a tasting party with four other beers. The chili beer was the first keg to kick....everyone loved it!! Just have to get the balance right.

I used to think so too....until I made one. Served it at a tasting party with four other beers. The chili beer was the first keg to kick....everyone loved it!! Just have to get the balance right.

Indeed. One of the local brewpubs here has a chili beer that is deeeeeeeelicious!

Are you talking about fruit as a garnish or fruit as an ingredient?

As a garnish, well, that's just your preference. I don't mind a lime from time to time, but that isn't exactly a beer style.

As an ingredient I will refer you to the BJCP Style Guidelines: 20A. Seems to me like fruit has such a prominent role in beer that it has been given it's own category.

All of it... fruit in beer sucks. :)

I'll steer clear of it. You can drink all you want.

Gary

I was just responding to the statement: fruit has no place in beer. Obviously that's not true and I was pointing that out.

This thread isn't about beer facts, its about "what is your least favorite style of beer." (from the original post)

And now I shall leave you with a banana, since we are discussing fruit: :ban:

i've tried to like guinness - but i just can't get into it.
that being said, aside from the obvious aversion to BMC, it's the only beer i straight don't care for.

IPAs. Can never enjoy them. Every so often, I'll try one again, just to see if my tastes have changed, but for whatever reason, just can't get behind them. I'm iffy on Pale Ales, but I've found a few of those I like.

weirdboy said:
Yes. If a brewery west of the Mississippi makes a Belgian IPA, I have probably tried it. Just not my thing, I guess.

Flying dog is east of the ms, Maryland

i had a pretty terrible potato beer once. come to think of it, it may have just been a potato. whatever it was, it ruined my steak.

I've seen it mentioned a couple times... but, any beer with fruit in it. Fruit has no place in beer.

The only beer I will drink with fruit in it is Corona (blech)... so it will kill the taste.

Gary

i totally agree. i don't necessarily have a problem with beer that is made using fruit, but if you have to put fruit in an already made beer, it's not a good beer.

PORTERS...but thats just a personal thing

other than that I like all styles but prefer not to drink lambics/and Wit beirs that often

Arkowa.. what was The Good scottish ale you were refering too?

Columbus Brewing Company's Scottish Ale. I must have been drunk when I posted that. Looking back, it was not even that great. I am a pretty big fan of all beers. Not sure what it is about the scottish ale. I like hoppy beers. I like low hopped beers like light lagers and dopplebocks. Maybe it is just TOO malt forward without the alcohol bite of a bock/dopplebock. *shrugs* Aside from sour beers, it is one of the only styles that i have not made. Guess I should give it a shot. Five gallons of the stuff should be enough to develop a taste.

1)Belgians - never had one I liked.

2) Beers with fruit or pumpkin in them. Beer should taste like beer, not candy or pie.

3) Most spiced beers - most are waaaayy overdone

4) Hefeweizen

5) Hop bombs - not a particular style, per se, but definitely a particular fad

There is not a single style I don't like. There are individual beers I don't care for, but not a complete style. I like smoke beers if the smoke flavor is light, but anything moderate or heavy I don't care for. American Light Lagers in general are not very good, but I like an occassional cold Coors Light if I'm at a ball game on a hot day. Fruit beers done with extract I don't care for, but when done with real fruit or fruit juice are usually very good. I like American Wheats and Belgian Wits, but when it comes to German/Bavarian Hefes I prefer the one with a strong cloves presence as I don't like banana flavors or esters in beer.

MrAverage said:

Your entitled to your opinions but I disagree on hop bombs being a fad, I personally don't see them going away. I love hops, the more the better.

1)Belgians - never had one I liked.

2) Beers with fruit or pumpkin in them. Beer should taste like beer, not candy or pie.

3) Most spiced beers - most are waaaayy overdone

4) Hefeweizen

I've never seen a home brewer hate so many different kinds of beer.

Doesn't Budweiser make a seafood beer? That would fly in the face of "there is no worst style beer" arguement. Thats pretty freakin bad man.

Back