Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worst beer I ever had was a fat gulp from an Pittsburgh Steelers Iron City can circa 1976 about ten years back (this makes the beer about 30 years old for all the math challenged out there). Between the warm temperature, unidentified chunks that formed, flatness, and odd flavors like rust, metal, mold, and stagnation this made me violently projectile vomit in ways that can only be described as catastrophic and life-changing. I pulled my back out and ruptured a blood vessel in my eye.

It is this experience that makes me think beers like PBR, Coors Light, Old English and the like really aren't all that bad.

Back in my college days, West Virginia was still a 3.2% beer state, left over from when prohibition ended. The big brewers solved this by adding water.
3.2 Strohs, served not very cold, in a college bar that smelled of spilled beer and puke from the years of it soaking in the carpet. There were probably other beers worse, but this stick out in my mind.

Carpet in a college bar?? I'd think you'd want tile or terrazzo, etc. Something that you can hose down at the end of the night. I'm picturing a gigantic bio-hazard petri dish...
I'd probably go concrete, with an epoxy sealer.

Ballast Point Indra Kunindra... by far the worst beer I have ever had. Reminds me of being packed on a bus full of people in the sweltering summer headed out to Agra, India to see the Taj Mahal. Neither the bus ride nor the beer were a pleasant experience.

Hands down, Boxer Lager. I drink Blatz, PBR, Hamm's and Milwaukee's Best on occasion. I can't even get one can of Boxer down. The first and only beer I couldn't stomach.

Piels. It is bad at any temperature, in any scenario, on any day. I don't know what causes the s****y taste and aftertaste but it isn't barley or hops. I can't drink a single one and I am not a beer snob at all, hell I love Genesee Cream Ale and Old English 800 Malt Liquor.....

Guiness Nitro IPA.

Pretty bad aye? I always see those cans and feel like I need to at least try it... for good measure. Instead, I always walk away. Something about Guinness and IPA just doesn't jive in my brain. Are they importing water to make it?

Shipyard Watermelonhead. Beats everything I've ever had. Like 5 jolly ranchers dropped into a bud light that hasn't finished fermenting yet and has nice butter notes

Not Your Father's Rootbeer.

I held off on trying it until a few days ago and holy hell it was awful! Sure, it smelled like root beer, but the taste was acrid to say the least.
+1
I ordered this in a bar on a whim and had 2 sips before I asked the bartender to pour it out. And I was already drunk when I ordered it so I wasn't even being discerning. It was just that bad.

Pretty bad aye? I always see those cans and feel like I need to at least try it... for good measure. Instead, I always walk away. Something about Guinness and IPA just doesn't jive in my brain. Are they importing water to make it?

I don't think it is bad. It isn't over the top. The nitro makes it really nice. Just don't expect American IPA if you try one.

Butternuts snapperhead IPA- VERY faint hop aroma or flavor in this IPA. Just bad overly sweet malty beer.

FZkCG9O.jpg

+1
I ordered this in a bar on a whim and had 2 sips before I asked the bartender to pour it out. And I was already drunk when I ordered it so I wasn't even being discerning. It was just that bad.

Man, I disagree. I thought it was pretty good. Not the best thing out there, but not that bad at all.

Nothing too exotic in the sticks where I grew up. Like many things realized only in retrospect, what our corner grocery carried back then would be prohibitive by HB standards now. Being located halfway between Buffalo and Rochester and 50 miles from the Canadian border, we were assaulted with beers such as:

Iroquois
Simon Pure
Carling Black Label
" Red Cap Ale
Genny
Koch's

And regional "imports" like:

Iron City (Pittsburg)
Schmidt's Tiger Head Ale (Philly)
Utica Club (duh)
Piel's Real (Brooklyn)

Nepenthe hop-ful ipa. Sip, sip, drain. And I'll drink anything. Left a coating in my mouth that I couldn't get rid of, ruining the rest of the beers for the night as well.

Keep trying their beers cause they are local and I want to like them, never had one even approach average. Makes me sad

Im sure its better now so not knocking it but growing up 25 years ago milwaukee's best was $5 a case and we called it diarrhea beer, you had to be hard up to buy it because you paid for it the next day

We must be pretty close to the same age lol. I remember those days! Don't know if you had it in your part of the world, but we also had a beer made by Scotch Buy. That was in the "generic" days prime. It came in a simple black and white can with the word Beer on the label. Lol, hard times/good times! :mug:

Of course in those days we were on a mission, and satisfying our palates with tasty brews wasn't generally at the top of the list.

Nepenthe hop-ful ipa. Sip, sip, drain. And I'll drink anything. Left a coating in my mouth that I couldn't get rid of, ruining the rest of the beers for the night as well.

Keep trying their beers cause they are local and I want to like them, never had one even approach average. Makes me sad

I feel the same way. I think the stout is alright, I wouldn't pay for it though. Maybe if someone gave it to me.

Had a bottle of new Belgium Ranger that was super nasty. It tasted like wet socks. Or rather it tasted like wet socks smell because I've never tasted wet socks. Probably just a skunked bottle but I've never been able to buy Ranger again.

Guinness nitro IPA. I'd honestly rather have a 40 of malt liquor. It was just terrible, and I'm pretty good at appreciating beers even if they're not my preference. I just couldn't wrap my head around why anyone would like it. It tastes like crystal light powdered iced tea.

Guinness nitro IPA. I'd honestly rather have a 40 of malt liquor. It was just terrible, and I'm pretty good at appreciating beers even if they're not my preference. I just couldn't wrap my head around why anyone would like it. It tastes like crystal light powdered iced tea.

agreed.

Had a bottle of new Belgium Ranger that was super nasty. It tasted like wet socks. Or rather it tasted like wet socks smell because I've never tasted wet socks. Probably just a skunked bottle but I've never been able to buy Ranger again.

Definitely a bad bottle. Ranger is a decent IPA. I'd say try it again, but check bottling date first.

I recently talked to the guy from Sam Adams that was in charge of the Nitro Project at my schools job fair - seemed kind of full of himself so I have to chuckle a bit seeing all these knocks on their Nitro IPA. If it was me I would have done a bunch of kick ass dark beers like Russian Imperial Stouts and Robust/Smoked Porters. Not too sad they never got back to me after giving them a resume.

I recently talked to the guy from Sam Adams that was in charge of the Nitro Project at my schools job fair - seemed kind of full of himself so I have to chuckle a bit seeing all these knocks on their Nitro IPA. If it was me I would have done a bunch of kick ass dark beers like Russian Imperial Stouts and Robust/Smoked Porters. Not too sad they never got back to me after giving them a resume.

All these insults are being thrown at the Guinness Nitro IPA, not the SA. Unless I've missed them. All the recent ones have been that Guinness abomination though

Five words about Not Your Father's Root Beer:

Grownup Root Beer Floats - YUM!

I had a friend give me a six pack which I poured after drinking 1/2 of one. It just doesn't work as beer. It's trying too hard to be root beer. I had the same thought of "it needs to be in a float". Ice cream can fix anything!

My friend then doubled down and gave me a six pack of their Ginger beer. It's truly awful, but initially deceptive. It looks like ginger ale and smells like ginger ale. But it tastes like ginger mixed with cans of diet soda that have been sitting in the sun for years so the diet soda after taste is amplified 1000%. Seriously did anyone try it and not notice the artificial aftertaste that will not dissipate. In fact, the lingering taste of artificial sweetener seems amplified by the ginger. Another 6 pack down the drain.So much for my plan of Dark and Stormy's :(

Still the worst is Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata. The marketing executive who "designed" this beer should be prosecuted for crimes against humanity. Cinnamon camouflaging old diapers is not a desirable flavor in any beer.

Back