Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't remember the brand, but it was a ginger beer.

Never again.

It wouldn't have been this, would it?
bottle.png

I wouldn't say that it was the worst but it was one of the 5 undrinkable beers i've ever drank. It was overwhelmingly sweet and I had to water it down with another lager I had to finish it.

The absolute worst in my experience was something from Kelso Brewery on tap in a bar in Brooklyn. It tasted like throw up.

This is a pic I took of my buddies in High School Circa 1975 ( we could legally drink @ 18 ).

I can't drink Miller beer anymore. Probably not the worst beer I've ever had though...
Colt 45 mini malt liquor comes to mind. :fro:

scan0007.jpg

I've only had the grapefruit. It's outstanding. Can I mix my own shandys? I might give it a shot.
Our fledgling club is doing its first in-club competition next month, with the style being a lawnmower beer - max 4.8% ABV if I remember correctly. I had debated doing a shandy, but a coworker (who is also a club member) brought up the point when you add the fruit juice in, you're also adding a lot of fresh fermentable sugars, so you'd probably need to pasteurize the bottles once you've reached the proper carb level to prevent bottle bombs.

(I elected to pass on the competition this time around, as the only kit I have on hand is an extract porter kit, and I'm in the process of upgrading to all-grain. Didn't want to order another extract kit, and won't have all of my equipment built in time)

Our fledgling club is doing its first in-club competition next month, with the style being a lawnmower beer - max 4.8% ABV if I remember correctly. I had debated doing a shandy, but a coworker (who is also a club member) brought up the point when you add the fruit juice in, you're also adding a lot of fresh fermentable sugars, so you'd probably need to pasteurize the bottles once you've reached the proper carb level to prevent bottle bombs.

You have a few other options, too. Splenda (or another artificial sweetener) comes to mind. If you keg, you could also filter the yeast to prevent any chance of bottle bombs. Or, if you're feeling brave, just keep the beer cold at all times and don't give the yeast a chance to ferment the juice.

This is a pic I took of my buddies in High School Circa 1975 ( we could legally drink @ 18 ).

I can't drink Miller beer anymore. Probably not the worst beer I've ever had though...
Colt 45 mini malt liquor comes to mind. :fro:

You knew Eddie Van Halen in 1975?

It wouldn't have been this, would it?

I wouldn't say that it was the worst but it was one of the 5 undrinkable beers i've ever drank. It was overwhelmingly sweet and I had to water it down with another lager I had to finish it.

Nah, it was something a friend of mine brought back from China during his last teaching trip.

I was working in a mine camp in Mongolia and this is all they had. Absolutely horrible.. but after a long day in the middle of the Gobi Desert it didn't taste too terrible!

Unita's Birthday Suit 22nd Anniversary. Imagine wrapping twizzlers around pepperoni. Eating it. Then vomiting it up into a bottle. Now drink that. I think that's as accurate as I can get.

I posted in this thread a while back, I think... and I wanted to add a beer.

For the most part, I have the philosophy that all beer is beautiful. To me, if I'm broke and a friend brings over a pizza and a six pack, that six pack is beautiful.

However, I've found one that I wouldn't drink again, even if free.

Peak Organic Fresh Cut. It's an organic dry hopped pilsner... but to me (key phrase "TO ME")it tastes like a dirty hippie fell in the grain mill, and instead of hops, they used fresh cut grass.

Has Pumking been mentioned yet? It's pumpkin beer season and I finally got my hands on a bomber of this expecting big things. What I got was a total diacetyl bomb. I understand they do that on purpose to simulate pie crust, but all I get is buttered popcorn and virtually no pumpkin spice flavor. Like I told my friend, who has the same opinion, it's like eating a slice of pumpkin pie without the pie filling, just crust.

Has Pumking been mentioned yet? It's pumpkin beer season and I finally got my hands on a bomber of this expecting big things. What I got was a total diacetyl bomb. I understand they do that on purpose to simulate pie crust, but all I get is buttered popcorn and virtually no pumpkin spice flavor. Like I told my friend, who has the same opinion, it's like eating a slice of pumpkin pie without the pie filling, just crust.

Pie Crust beer actually sounds delicious to me...

This crap

Crap is relative. Just before the turn of the century, my wife and I set sail in our sailboat-home on a five-year cruise in the Caribbean. At the beginning of the adventure, after a couple of months in the Bahamas where all you could get was various cans of BMC at $35-40/case, we got to the Dominican Republic and discovered Presidente. It came in bomber-sized bottles (Presidente Grande) for less than a buck each. At the time and on a cruiser's budget it was the best beer ever. Times and tastes have certainly changed but I remember it fondly.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442083313.668122.jpg

I literally lol'd at pliney. I would agree it's way over hyped, however it's far from the worst of anything lol

Ahhhhh I couldn't resist. Honestly, my true vote goes to Ballast Points Indra Kanindra. Tastes like an Indian Arm Pit.

I had a Schlafly Octoberfest recently, it had a strange wet dog smell, and a flavor that I can only describe as "fizzy cream of mushroom soup" took 2 or 3 sips and dumped it. Maybe it was mishandled, dunno, won't try another one.

I would be interested in trying it again just to see if it was as bad as I remembered.

35 years ago, in college, my go to beer was Foster's Lager in the oil cans. I actually didn't like it at all, but I thought it made me seem cool to drink something exotic and hear everybody ask, "How can you drink that?"

Seedy Blonde by Red Hook is total garb. its the lowest rated beer on untappd that I have had.

Shock-Top-Bourbon-Cask-Honey-Wheat.jpg

Bought this at around midnight from a gas station down the street while working in the garage. Oh. My. God. We now use it solely for pranking friends, much the way you "Ice" someone with Smirnoff Ices

21st Amendment Fireside Chat for me. SWMBO got it for me as a surprise, so I drank one. It was a struggle. I gave it another try the day after, but could only get a third of the way through it before I dumped it and the remaining cans. It felt like I was drinking Pine Sol or some furniture varnish.

Shock-Top-Bourbon-Cask-Honey-Wheat.jpg

Bought this at around midnight from a gas station down the street while working in the garage. Oh. My. God. We now use it solely for pranking friends, much the way you "Ice" someone with Smirnoff Ices

That stuff was so weird. It was as if they didn't end up with enough honey sweetness, so they added a bunch of beeswax to the wort instead. Like drinking a candle. :drunk:

Utica Club. Sorry, Schultz & Dooley. While going to school in Syracuse in the late 60s, we occasionally *had* to drink U.C. when a little deli on the east side was out of Bud in church-key cans for $3.99 a case (yeah, 24 cans for $3.99). Syracuse, being about an hour west of Utica, must have had a direct line from the brewery. On tap, it was hands down the greenest, skunkiest, most headache-/nausea-inducing beer I have ever, to this day, had.

Back