Worried about low temps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuhl

Reaction score
So, I'm planning on doing my 3rd batch this weekend (Midwest Coffee Stout with some modifiers). They were kind and upgraded me to the Whitelabs vial, I think its WLP023.

For my first couple batches I set my fermenter in the unfinished basement, no problem. Now that it's starting to get cooler though... I am worried. The temp sticker on my fermenter says 64 deg... and thats at ~7:00. It will likely get cooler overnight too.

Will this be too low for the yeast to do it's thing? What are my options here? I'm not too keen on raising my thermostat to 68 full on for 2 weeks, or, at least, my wallet isn't. Can I use a local heat source?

For a few strains it would probably be ok, but White Labs recommends 68-73F for it. It would probably add some time to your primary period, and perhaps inhibit some of the flavors that the Burton yeast is known for. Just my thoughts.

For a yeast with that temp range,at least raise it up off the floor a few feet. You might have to put it in a cooler room upstairs that's closer to ideal.

64F is fine for pretty much any ale yeast, its gunna warm up during active fermentation anyway. id check your basement temps in the am tho, but they shouldnt vary too much.

Back