World's greatest sandwich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StittsvilleJames

Reaction score
So I just made the greatest sandwich of my life! I am almost in tears I am so dissappointed that I ate it all and can't make another one right now.

On to the sandwich!

-start by making pesto mayonnaise
(~1 tbsp of basil pesto, 1/2 cup mayo, 1 minced garlic clove, mixed fully).

-Slice ciabatta bread.

-Add a few leaves of lettuce,

-Add one tsp or so of pesto mayonnaise

-Add 2 slices of fresh tomatoes.

-Add 4 slices peeled cucumber.

-Slice some onion thinly and fry lightly in olive oil until limp.

-Slice halloumi cheese into 1/4 inch slices, and sprinkle a pinch of ground black pepper on each slice. Fry the cheese for about a minute in the olive oil turning once, until it begins to turn brown on both sides. (Halloumi is a crazy kind of cheese which doesn't turn to goo when fried or grilled. It may actually be magical.)

Add cheese to sandwich, squish it together, and enjoy!

Seriously, it is awesome. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Cheese that doesn't melt? What is this madness! I like my cheese to melt!

Hell i take 3 different kinds of cheese and mix them all together in a broiler. I like melted cheese on my sandwhiches! :)

SWMBO's favorite sammich minus the fancy mayo and frying stuff. I'll tell her you stole her favorite!

My current favorite is a grilled cheese and salmon. Bread goes in the pan, layer of cheese, spoon on some salmon salad, another layer of cheese, other bread goes on. Cook like a regular grilled cheese. It's fantastic.

SWMBO's favorite sammich minus the fancy mayo and frying stuff. I'll tell her you stole her favorite!

What can i say, your swmbo is a genius. :D

Ask her is she has ever tried putting proscuitto on it, because when I was picking up the cheese and veggies today, I thought about getting some proscuitto too. Then i thought it might make it too salty.

And tell her to get frying! Why buy magical non melting cheese if you're not going to fry it? :rockin:

So I just made the greatest sandwich of my life! I am almost in tears I am so dissappointed that I ate it all and can't make another one right now.

On to the sandwich!

-start by making pesto mayonnaise
(~1 tbsp of basil pesto, 1/2 cup mayo, 1 minced garlic clove, mixed fully).

-Slice ciabatta bread.

-Add a few leaves of lettuce,

-Add one tsp or so of pesto mayonnaise

-Add 2 slices of fresh tomatoes.

-Add 4 slices peeled cucumber.

-Slice some onion thinly and fry lightly in olive oil until limp.

-Slice halloumi cheese into 1/4 inch slices, and sprinkle a pinch of ground black pepper on each slice. Fry the cheese for about a minute in the olive oil turning once, until it begins to turn brown on both sides. (Halloumi is a crazy kind of cheese which doesn't turn to goo when fried or grilled. It may actually be magical.)

Add cheese to sandwich, squish it together, and enjoy!

Seriously, it is awesome. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

has my mouth watering, and i'm not even hungry :D saved it so i can try it later

passedpawn said:
extra mayo please (not to be confused with that culinary abomination, miracle whip)

Ugh, I don't know how people can eat Miracle Whip. Not because of anything necessarily artificial about it (though I assume there's plenty), but just because that stuff tastes awful and just plain gross. Real mayo is definitely where it's at (though I'm not usually one to ask for EXTRA :D)

Maybe call the pesto mayo 'pesto aioli' and the mayo-haters might dislike it less, probably not though. And +1 to the bacon...or proscuitto...or my suggestion...iberico ham.

Maybe make it into a sort of muffaletta-type-thing; sub tapenade for the aioli, then use iberico and fried halloumi. LTO optional.

EDIT: Queso fresco can be browned/pan-fried too...if you're careful.

Where is the rest of the sandwich? I don't see anything appealing in there yet? It needs MEAT!

I gotta agree, its just a salad until you add meat. I heartily recommend a cut of pork.

There are enough heart lubricating aspects to this sandwich to warrant omitting the obligatory pork product.

I have to chuckle over how many peeps don't know that aioli is just gussied up mayo made fresh in a blender. The pesto in it is good. But I'd squeeze in some roasted garlic. And maybe some pit bbq'd chicken breast brushed with olive oil & herbs.

unionrdr said:
I have to chuckle over how many peeps don't know that aioli is just gussied up mayo made fresh in a blender. The pesto in it is good. But I'd squeeze in some roasted garlic. And maybe some pit bbq'd chicken breast brushed with olive oil & herbs.

Aioli, by definition, is supposed to have garlic.

I used spanish onions, but red onions would work. Not sure about the sweet onions, never tried one.

I think I may make one of these for lunch today. Man they're good.

let me school you mofo's on a real sandwich. 1/2 pound burger topped with roastbeef grilled onions and provolone (think french dip burger). put the burger in a bowl and submerge in au jus. eat it with a fork or spoon. i like to call it sanwich soup. they make it for me at the pub i frequent.

let me school you mofo's on a real sandwich. 1/2 pound burger topped with roastbeef grilled onions and provolone (think french dip burger). put the burger in a bowl and submerge in au jus. eat it with a fork or spoon. i like to call it sanwich soup. they make it for me at the pub i frequent.

Yup sounds Awesome!

Latest posts

Back