Salad dressings/ vinaigrette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just made the best dressing I ever have, out of stuff in my house right now. Our garden is at peak (but no tomatoes yet :( ) and we have wonderful greens- lettuce, kale, etc, along with shallots and garlic and onions.

I had a hankering for pesto, but instead of making pesto for pasta, I decided to make a "Pesto dressing" for our salad. Oh, it's so great that I had to share it here!

1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (packed)
2 garlic cloves
3 T pecans (I was out of pine nuts)
1/2 cup organic extra virgin olive oil from Italy
2 T kombucha (this was "overfermented" kombucha, so great tasting vinegar basically- white wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice would be a great sub)
fresh ground sea salt and black pepper

I ground up everything except the olive oil in the food processer, then added the olive oil until I reached emulsion.

It's green, and creamy, and the whole kitchen smells like heaven.

To serve, I debated between the classic parmesan and fresh mozzeralla. I had those little mozzeralla "balls" so I cut those up and put those on the salad and poured the dressing over. The greens were mixed (a mesclun group, some Tuscan kale), with a bit of slivered red onion, some tiny broccoli florets, and wee tiny snow peas, all from the garden.

Best salad ever!!!!!

Since it's salad season, what other vinaigrettes and dressings do you make?

Sorry, it's all about the Ranch in my house. I've tried a few oil and vinegar dressings, and some are just ok, but I love the cream dressings!

Since I started going low fat, I thought I'd force myself to find a nice oil/vinegar dressing. I just didn't find one I wanted to eat on my salad all the time. I did find I can cut back on the ranch if I use a bit of herb/spices with it, and lower my expectations.

Back