Remedial Cooking.... recovering frozen tatziki

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I made tatziki sauce, and because cucumbers do not keep, I used a whole cucumber, and as a result I made far more tatziki than I wanted to keep in the fridge, so I froze 2/3 of it.
This turned out to be an Oops..... The sauce ended up thin an curdled. ( I use sour cream, lemon juice, olive oil, mint, rosmary, garlic, and of course cucumber).
Not willing to write it off, I took some olive oil, and about 3T of tapioca flour, and made a paste as if I were making a white sauce, put it in a sauce pan with a small amount of tatziki over my induction cooker at a low heat, and heated it until it began to thicken. As it thickened I added more and more tatziki, warming it until I got the consistency I wanted. It never got very hot at all, and thickened up nicely with no loss of flavor, resulting in a very nice product.

Having well over 50 years of kitchen mistakes in my past, as well as brewing mistakes, and many other mistakes I won't mention here, this isn't my first rodeo. I'll do this again with the remainder of the tatziki, and probably make this my standard procedure..... making too much and freezing the remainder.

I make my own pita bread, and not to brag it up, it is so far superior to the commercial stuff that I'll never buy it again. I frequently make Gyros for lunch. I also make my own Gyros meat using chicken thighs marinated and barbecued and sliced. It's far tastier than the bland stuff you can buy, and chicken takes the flavor better. I bone the chicken thighs, saving the skins to deep fry for a munchy snack. The marinade consists of about half a cup of sour cream, a T of salt, 1.5t fesh cracked pepper, a T of oilive oil 2 crushed garlic cloves, about 3T lemon juice, 1/2T chipoltle powder, and 1/4t each dried rosmary, thyme, and marjoram. I leave the chicken (6-8 thighs) in this for at least 24 hours, and barbecue fast and hot. It then refrigerate, and slice this in to thin narrow slices, each of which is nicely infused with flavor. I put pieces of my home made feta on a home made pita, along with slices of chicken, laying the works on a plate and covering with another plate, and microwave 45 seconds, then remove and add lettuce and tomatoes, spooning tatziki on and rolling it up. Makes a great lunch............ It's 11:57 at the moment, and writing this has made me crave a Gyros......

H.W.

If you like DIY, feta is really easy to make, greek yogurt is a breeze (for the tzatsiki sauce), and the meat is pretty easy if you emulsify it with a food processor and press into a loaf. I use a mixture of beef and lamb. I used bricks to press while hot. A cheese press would be a cool idea here, actually (why didn't I think about it when I did it ?).

greek-yogurt-63374.jpg

_mg_8500-63379.jpg
_mg_8501-63380.jpg
_mg_8502-63381.jpg
_mg_8505-63383.jpg
_mg_8509-63386.jpg
_mg_8513-63388.jpg
_mg_8514-63389.jpg
_mg_8507-63384.jpg
_mg_8508-63385.jpg
_mg_8516-63390.jpg

Latest posts