World Beer Fest--Durham, OCT 7th

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the rate we're going we'll have more varieties of beers after the brewfest than there'll be at the brewfest. :ban:

Nosnhojhoser, your meat plan sounds awesome, I vote we go that route, maybe throw in some Italian sausages & some bratwurst (for that Packer's fan from Hampton, VA). :D

Dude, I took the girls up to Camden Yards to see their beloved Red Sox last fall. Great ballpark, great city, great time. 7 hour drive IIRC.

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
At the rate we're going we'll have more varieties of beers after the brewfest than there'll be at the brewfest. :ban:

Nosnhojhoser, your meat plan sounds awesome, I vote we go that route, maybe throw in some Italian sausages & some bratwurst (for that Packer's fan from Hampton, VA). :D

Dude, I took the girls up to Camden Yards to see their beloved Red Sox last fall. Great ballpark, great city, great time. 7 hour drive IIRC.

Oh...okay...we just saw the O's and Saux 2 nights ago....great game.....

Yeah, I'll be in charge of brats. Buying AND cooking. :)

What do you need us to bring? Besides my Brian Urlacher jersey.....

Floyd, I've got a very important job for you. You're in charge of keeping a careful eye on these 3 incorrigible ladies.

1663-DSC00090.jpg

blg wants to know if you would like us to bring some dessert.. i can definately recommend a cake that she makes!

and floyd may have the hardest job of all if he has to keep an eye on THOSE girls!

well we went to the flying saucer yesterday and now are totally ready for the beerfest.. blg stayed in her chair..but im sure it wasnt easy!

oh yea we also found the peace street market...needless to say that was NOT the place for us to find.. blg was like a kid in a candy store.. we ened up walking out with $50 dollars worth of stuff .. of course you could hear her oohs and aahs then pure excitement when she found her blackberry mead and her Sea Dog blueberry ale...it was pure embarrassing! lol

It's amazing how many women know sign language. SWMBO gives me that sign at least once a day.

Here's who we have so far and what they can bring:

Mr. & Mrs. Dude: Homebrew, Brats & Cobra tap
Nosnhojr: Homebrew, Tri-tips
Beerluvngirl: Homebrew, dessert
Sailman: Beerluvngirl, straitjacket
Mr. & Mrs. HurricaneFloyd: Homebrew, handcuffs, mace, chips & salsa?
Mr. & Mrs. Walker-san: Homebrew, Baked beans?, Cole slaw?
Bostonbrewin': Homebrew, Italian sausages, misc. stuff
Baron von Beegee: Can you score some C***n cigars?

Did I forget anybody? Nothing is written in stone, just suggestions. Walker, we may need your grill. If Dude & Nosnhojr could be the grillmasters that would be great. Floyd, Sailman & Walker keep the beer cold & flowing. Ladies in charge of everything else. Bostonbrewin' just runs around helping wherever he can. We can fine-tune this over the next few weeks. Don't forget to wear your GRABASS t-shirts!

sailman said:
oh yea we also found the peace street market...needless to say that was NOT the place for us to find.. blg was like a kid in a candy store.. we ened up walking out with $50 dollars worth of stuff ..
The shack of a Mexican restaurant directly across the street ain't half bad for taking the "edge off" a night at the Saucer, either!

ok so ill be bringing a cake it looks like.... lol.. sailman will attempt to keep me in control (we have the straight jacket ready! :) )... we also have some beer that we scored from a friend who was going out of business at a mexican restuarant if anyone would like some.. we have some dos equis amber and corona.. only thing we want is the bottles!

im looking forward to it! if you need us to bring anything else just let us know!

BeerLuvnGrl said:
we have some dos equis amber and corona.. only thing we want is the bottles!
:off:
My experience with Dos Equis is that they don't take a cap very well. I've not had any real problems with them, but they just don't seem to seal very well and I've rotated them out of use along with my Bass and Warsteiner bottles.

well darn.. we were at least hoping to get the bottles thats why we took the beer.. oh well.. looks like more beer to get rid of then!

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Here's what I'm thinking, suggestions are welcome:
We meet at my house Sat. morning ~ 11ish. We have 2 minivans and 2 designated drivers (me and Walker). After the brewfest we go back to my house for food (suggestions, please), homebrew sampling & Texas Hold-em ($10 buy-in). If anyone has a Cobra Tap (ball lock) please bring it.
Jeff

:eek: I need to teach SWMBO how to play texas hold 'em......

Walker, yes, the 06.06.06 is still in secondary. I have it dry hopping now, but it has been in oak chips for 2 weeks as well. When I tasted it, it needed aging.

Having beer around isn't a problem in this house. I can't drink it fast enough. I still have 30 gallons of undrank homebrew sitting around, and NO friends.

dont worry dude.. her and i may be playing on the same skill level.. i love texas hold em.. i just play too carefree.. im like oh heck whatever.. im quite sure Greg will not be happy with me.. lol (me beer money poker.. not a good combo!)

and dont feel bad..we were commenting on all the beer we have too..if we run out of food we can survive off of beer! lol

I wish I had your problems. My stock will be seriously depleted by the time I get a new batch brewed and ready to drink.

I haven't brewed since the 4th of July because of moving and everything else. I think I have about 3 cases of HB tucked away.

Walker-san said:
I wish I had your problems. My stock will be seriously depleted by the time I get a new batch brewed and ready to drink.

I haven't brewed since the 4th of July because of moving and everything else. I think I have about 3 cases of HB tucked away.

Let's plan a group brew session at you house in about a month. Weather will be nice. I can do a "payback" boilover.

I feel a little weird only bringing chips and salsa so if there is anything else you guys/gals need, let me know. Keep in mind it would have to be in Walker/Brewin's car all day while at the festival. I was thinking maybe another dessert like brownies or one of those pastry trays from Costco? Not sure how those would keep in a car all day while at the festival. Anyone have ideas?

:off: what was up with that locked thread? I lay low for a couple days and I miss out on the fun. At least it was someone else starting the trouble this time. ;)

Man... you changed your username and I had no idea what was up there.

todd_k said:
I feel a little weird only bringing chips and salsa so if there is anything else you guys/gals need, let me know. Keep in mind it would have to be in Walker/Brewin's car all day while at the festival. I was thinking maybe another dessert like brownies or one of those pastry trays from Costco? Not sure how those would keep in a car all day while at the festival. Anyone have ideas?
I can bring a cooler with some ice to keep stuff in.

todd_k said:
:off: what was up with that locked thread? I lay low for a couple days and I miss out on the fun. At least it was someone else starting the trouble this time. ;)
I missed that too, I guess?

yeah, sorry about that. I posted another thread about it but I guess I didn't give enough warning!
I don't think you have to bring a cooler, I really don't want to be any more of a hassle than I already am. I'll find something non-perishable to bring along with the chips and salsa. Maybe a case of Budweiser????? :mug:

ah.... I made a bit of a mistake on the scambaiter forum where I've been spending most of my time the last few days. I used the same username there as I used here. When it finally hit me that there is an outside change that maybe someone could google it and find that I was on here too and that I was much easier to track down on this forum, then I decided to change my user name. Unfortunately, I can't change the username on the scambaiter site so I changed it here.
It's mostly all paranoia but better safe then sorry. These scammers aren't all that bright but being safe is rule #1.

EDIT: I changed the avatar just because I was bored with the old one.

todd_k said:
I don't think you have to bring a cooler, I really don't want to be any more of a hassle than I already am.

It's really not a big deal. I've got a cooler. I've got a 16# bag of ice left over from a BBW a couple of weeks ago. But if you don't want/need it...

-walker

Well, I'm not going to bring near as many varieites as I said I would.

I dumped the Solid Gold today, infected or something. It was crazy phenolic. Same with the LWPA. That had a leaky corny, so something happened there too. Those kegs sat way too long, and got transferred from Swami's place and then back to mine. Not good.

So, I have the Red Eye Rye on gas right now. It is a very nice, hoppy rye pale ale. I'm loving it. If you all remember, that was my attempt at a slightly dumbed down Hop Rod Rye. I think I did really well on that. Can't wait to get it carbed up for you guys.

I racked the Pliny today as well, I'll let that dry hop for a few days, then add more dry hops and get it on gas this weekend. That way I can either keg some of it in a 3 gallon keg or bottle some before the fest.

So it looks now, I'll have the Dew Brew (not so great), Maple Blonde (not so great), Red Eye Rye, and Pliny.

:mug:

If I can empty my corny of New Zealand Pale Ale by Saturday, I'll be able to keg my own "kiddie size" rye pale ale (1.052/47 IBU) that's sitting on 2 oz of Simcoe leaf in secondary. Hmm, do I foresee a rye pale ale tasting challenge?

Walker, where the hell are you? We need to finish this keg!

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
If I can empty my corny of New Zealand Pale Ale by Saturday, I'll be able to keg my own "kiddie size" rye pale ale (1.052/47 IBU) that's sitting on 2 oz of Simcoe leaf in secondary. Hmm, do I foresee a rye pale ale tasting challenge?

Mine's bigger! :p

1.062, 66 IBUs

4 lbs. of rye in it.

Sounds like a plan though, kill that keg!

Dude said:
Mine's bigger! :p

1.062, 66 IBUs

4 lbs. of rye in it.

Sounds like a plan though, kill that keg!

Damn, 4# of rye? Why don't you add a pound of swiss and a couple pounds of corned beef to it? It'd make a nice meal.

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
If I can empty my corny of New Zealand Pale Ale by Saturday....

PTA meeting tonight. I'm home with the kids and SWMBO is at the meeting. But don't fret... I'll help you empty it out this week. I might have to force myself come by every evening for a pint or two, but that's what friends are for, right?

edit: One thought... can you bottle a couple liters from your keg? That NZ Pale ale is absolutely delicious and I think the out of towners would appreciate a taste.

-walker

Walker-san said:
edit: One thought... can you bottle a couple liters from your keg? That NZ Pale ale is absolutely delicious and I think the out of towners would appreciate a taste.

-walker

I second that. I'd love to try it.

In fact, if you can take that keg out of the fridge with a little left, I can bring an empty 3 gallon keg over and we can transfer it to that with a jump line, and quick-chill (inside my travel kegerator with some ice) it and sample it through my travel kegerator.

Whatever you guys decide--just opening some options.

Dude said:
Liquid bread, baby.

I applaud your efforts to keep beer at the bottom of the food pyramid where it rightly belongs!

Walker-san said:
I'll help you empty it out this week. I might have to force myself come by every evening for a pint or two, but that's what friends are for, right?

-walker

Liters? Damn, that's right, my NZPA is in metric units, isn't it? That's gonna mess me all up! I've gotta find some 500 mL bottles, all mine are 12 ounce

Dude said:
I second that. I'd love to try it.

In fact, if you can take that keg out of the fridge with a little left...

But then he has no place to put the new ale. BOSTON just started kegging a couple of weeks ago and only has two kegs.

Dude said:
I can bring an empty 3 gallon keg over and we can transfer it to that with a jump line, and quick-chill (inside my travel kegerator with some ice) it and sample it through my travel kegerator.

Travel kegerator?! Ok, Dude.... I think it's time for an intervention.

Hey, Jeff.... Richard has a beer gun and if you say 'pretty please' he might let you borrow it. I could even grab it from him at work and bring it over.

-walker

Latest posts

Back