World Beer Fest--Durham, OCT 7th

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walker-san said:
sounds like a plan to me. what say ye, floyd and dude?

-walker

That is cool with me! I'm always up for some poker and hangin' with the bros.

Les and I were planning on driving up Friday--so we'll stay at the hotel Friday night and meet you guys at the fest--then we'll decide from there what we are going to do--or we'll hash it out on here.

The only thing I am worried about is driving after the fest. I was pretty tore up at the last one.

Walker--are you kidding that you can't drink? WTF?

I appreciate the generous offer BostonBrewin'! We're driving down there Saturday morning but I'm also concerned about driving after the festival as like Dude, I will be in rare form that evening. :cross:

I'm up for poker no matter where we end up! However, SWMBO is dead money.

Just thinking out loud here. Why don't you Virginny folk drive to Cary on Sat. morning, we'll have Walker be the Designated Driver (a day of sobriety will be good for him, although he may be grouchy). Chad can drive us up to Durham and then back to Cary. Play some poker, drink some beer. The Dude's stay at Walker's, the Floyd's come home with me. We'll have room for 7 in the mini-van. No worries. Thoughts?

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Just thinking out loud here. Why don't you Virginny folk drive to Cary on Sat. morning, we'll have Walker be the Designated Driver (a day of sobriety will be good for him, although he may be grouchy). Chad can drive us up to Durham and then back to Cary. Play some poker, drink some beer. The Dude's stay at Walker's, the Floyd's come home with me. We'll have room for 7 in the mini-van. No worries. Thoughts?

How are you and floyd getting home? :D

Hey Jeff, can I rent some space in your sig? I keep getting the "500 character" rule. :mad: :D

Dude said:
How are you and floyd getting home? :D

I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it

Dude said:
Hey Jeff, can I rent some space in your sig? I keep getting the "500 character" rule. :mad: :D

Sure, 15 cents per word, 50 word minimum :D

ok.. now dont leave me and sailman out.. or at least point us back in the direction of rocky mount.. lol

i promise not to fall out of any chairs this time.. seeing as i was totally sober last time.. :D

I won't be able to drink *much*. A beer or two is OK, but I have to take things slowly... just a sip or two of each kind. (I have to be careful about my blood getting too thin.)

As for getting home after the fest, I (and BB) have minivans that hold 7. I'll be sober, so I can drag the walker's, randals, floyd, and dudes around no problem. We can probably shove a couple more in there, too (like greg and pansy).

It'll all work out.

as for friday night, dude... you are welcome to stay at my place then, too. No need to rent a hotel room in NC's murder capital for no good reason.

-walker

Chairman Cheyco said:
Other than hotel-room-with-no-kids-around sex?

Maybe Dude wants to party with the Duke lacrosse team on Friday night. Lotsa beer & sex

BeerLuvnGrl said:
ok.. now dont leave me and sailman out.. or at least point us back in the direction of rocky mount.. lol

i promise not to fall out of any chairs this time.. seeing as i was totally sober last time.. :D

Any chance of you bringing a designated driver with you? Well worth the $30 to get you back to Rocky Mount safely

SWMBO isn't too keen on the idea of staying with people we don't really know (you may be that creepy foot doctor from the Red Stripe commercials :) ) I guess she has a point so it looks like we'll be getting a hotel room. Please don't take offense!

HurricaneFloyd said:
SWMBO isn't too keen on the idea of staying with people we don't really know (you may be that creepy foot doctor from the Red Stripe commercials :) ) I guess she has a point so it looks like we'll be getting a hotel room. Please don't take offense!

You still gonna be around to play some poker and hang out afterwards though?

I guess we can get a hotel in Cary, catch a ride with you guys to the festival on Saturday afternoon and then come back and play poker later, then call a cab to take us back to the hotel.
Is this cool with the DD? We're only about 2 hours or so away so we can get down there Saturday late-morning/early afternoon (don't remember exactly what time the festival starts). Any suggestions on a local hotel? I was looking on tripadvisor at the holday inn.

If this is way too much hassle then we can just meet at the festival and then do our own thing Saturday night, no big deal.

HurricaneFloyd said:

Damn, I spent an hour last night digging 2 graves in the crawl space. I'll never catch up to John Wayne Gacy now.

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Damn, I spent an hour last night digging 2 graves in the crawl space. I'll never catch up to John Wayne Gacy now.

You can put my sister-in-law in one of them.

Walker-san said:
You can put my sister-in-law in one of them.

I didn't want to say anything negative in front of Julie, but your S-I-L really **** the bed on you. I was floored!

edit: The "b" word is too good for her, jump down to the "c" word

yeah. i had words with her last night.

actually... with her answering machine since she wouldn't pick up the phone.

Her selfishness actually got worse, believe it or not. I have to go in for a proceedure on the 12th, and we asked her to baby sit. Her response was, "I have to work that day doing a fashion show, and it's going to be good for my career, so I can't do it."

When asked if she could watch the kids on another day (so I can make an office visit to the neurologist)... a day that she does NOT work... her response was that it was the only day she had to run errands and she needed to clean her apartment.

Anyway, I called her back and, in no uncertain terms, made it clear that she was never welcome in my house again. Gave myself one hell of a headache yelling at her, but the satisfaction I got from telling her off was worth it.

I am very excited for the day when she needs help with something and calls us. I'm going to hang up on the c**t.

-walker

PS: for those trying to piece together the story here, my sister in law refused to help out my wife with the kids when I had my thing last week because she "didn't want to waste the gas driving to my house."

Thank god for real friends like Boston, who did not bat an eye when called at 2am to come over and stay at my house so that my wife could go to the hospital and be with me.

Three cheers for BOSTONBREWIN'!

some people are obvious "c" words.. and well she is obviously one of them.. did NOT wanna waste GAS??? please...

and heck greg and i dont get too tore up.. we will be back in rocky mount safely if it means waiting awhile to go home.. we dont do the drink and drive thing!

and come on didnt you know ALL internet peeps have graves in their basements.. or under their houses.. or in the backyard.. lmao!

Has everyone got their tickets for the afternoon session? Can we get a roll call of who's definitely coming?
Jeff

BeerLuvnGrl said:
gots em.. itll be me and sailman.. i guess that would mean i shoulda responded with...

hwmbo? LOL

HWMBS
(He Who Must Be Submissive)

Me and SWMBO.

Got our tix already.

We were going to come up Friday, but it turns out we have other plans for Friday night, so we will be leaving Saturday morning.
HurricaneFloyd, if you want to meet somewhere just off I-64 we can ride the rest of the way down together.

They updated the beer list. I am shooting sparks out of my ass for Kuhnhenn out of Michigan. AWESOME beers. I hope they have the pumpkin beer there.

i need to go read the list..i havent gone there in awhile and one time i went they hadnt updated.. i want to try some pumpkin beer too! i just racked my holiday beer.. i may have a few 'green' bottles for ya to try!

Me and SWMBO.

I was at American Brewmaster when the tickets came in & swiped the first pair. We waited too long to get tix last time and ended up missing out.

Wow....we are going to have another good showing.

I plan on bringing a variety of beer for you guys too.

Lake Walk Pale Ale
Maple Blonde
DewBrew
Red Eye Rye
Pliny The Bastid

With all of these people, looks like I have some work to do.

Dude said:
Wow....we are going to have another good showing.

I plan on bringing a variety of beer for you guys too.

Lake Walk Pale Ale
Maple Blonde
DewBrew
Red Eye Rye
Pliny The Bastid

With all of these people, looks like I have some work to do.
You *still* have the 6.6.6 in the secondary?!

I don't know that I'll have any HB available given my current situation, but I might have a little of the current IPA and Wit (which is a total failure as a Wit, but a good Wheat beer).

-walker

well im hoping to bring:

Pansy Pale Ale (i only have a few left in bottles..the rest is kegged!)
Caramel Cream Ale
Raspberry Overload (which no one will like im sure! LOL)
Cherry Wheat
Holiday Cheer (it may only be in the bottle a week or so though)

our mead and cider wont be ready...

I swear i feel like i brew more than i actually do.. lol

I don't know Dude..... are you going to be driving a Green and Yellow station wagon with that Go Pack Go song playing the whole way? Oops, wrong thread... :D
What time were you planning on leaving your house? I think we're leaving kind of early on that Saturday so we can get down to the hotel by 10am so I think we may be gone by the time you drive through fabulous downtown Richmond. BB worked out a bit of a schedule for me, BB and Walker and their posse were going to pick us up at the hotel around 11 or so (hopefully we can get an early check in).
I'll be bringing some brews as well; the Avery Porter Clone and Papazian's DFH 60 minute IPA clone. Hopefully they can measure up! :cross:

Are we still on for poker? How much $$$$$?

Here's what I'm thinking, suggestions are welcome:
We meet at my house Sat. morning ~ 11ish. We have 2 minivans and 2 designated drivers (me and Walker). After the brewfest we go back to my house for food (suggestions, please), homebrew sampling & Texas Hold-em ($10 buy-in). If anyone has a Cobra Tap (ball lock) please bring it.
Jeff

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
We meet at my house Sat. morning ~ 11ish. We have 2 minivans and 2 designated drivers (me and Walker). After the brewfest we go back to my house for food (suggestions, please), homebrew sampling & Texas Hold-em ($10 buy-in). If anyone has a Cobra Tap (ball lock) please bring it.
Jeff

I'm in Baltimore for the next 2 days, so I may not be at the computer much--but I'll plan on bringing my travel kegerator with a 3 gallon keg of Lake Walk or prolly the nice and hoppy Solid Gold.

I also have a cobra tap--I'll bring it.

The plan so far sounds good. Let's lock down the specifics soon.

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Jeff

Sounds good. I'll have to do some daddy stuff at some point in the evening, but everything sounds cool by me.

Captain Willard said:
Me and SWMBO.

I was at American Brewmaster when the tickets came in & swiped the first pair. We waited too long to get tix last time and ended up missing out.

Will you be joining us for cook-out, homebrew & poker afterwards?

Orpheus said:
Man this sounds cool.

I don't suppose there's anyone from the Washington D.C./Baltimore area that's going/that would be interested in going?

Man, if I can drive up there for an O's-Bosox game, you can drive down here for a beerfest. Come join us.

Okay, I'm in! Bought my ticket to the festival, and I'll bring the keg of SNCA-clone Boston and I brewed ~6 weeks ago. That one's lookin' good. I have a 1/2 keg of IPA and 3/4 keg of Kolsch on tap, which I could also save and bring; any problems letting it sit in the fridge for another few weeks? I've never had a brew last more than a few weeks after kegging :D

So, what's the plan for grilling? I say we do a bunch of tri-tip and pork tenderloin. I'll see if I can score some Santa Maria dry rub for the tri-tip from someone at work travelling out to the left coast, and I've got a great tenderloin sauce made from apricot jam, Old Bay, and Wild Turkey. :rockin:

Back